Not Worth the Spike...

Discussion in 'Support' started by lilith, Sep 20, 2017.

1. lilith

lilith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I'm so sick of this society where everything is cranked up unnecessarily loudly. I've basically turned into a complete homebody both because I'm an introvert and because of my tinnitus -- and what with the only places I go being home, stores, and the gym, I rarely think about the chance of a spike. So this last one caught me unprepared.

I do promotional work and had to man a booth at a customer appreciation event -- I really didn't think it would be too crazy as it's a small little natural foods store. But it turned out to be a chaotic, packed event with about 7 different loudspeakers in the tent. I tried to get the booth farthest away from the loudspeakers, and the volume of the music they played wasn't bad, but it was the DJ himself who was obnoxious, clearly enjoyed the sound of his own voice, and brought everything to a piercing volume every time he talked.

I couldn't just leave since it was my job to be there (although if in a situation like that again, I probably would), and about an hour in remembered that I actually had earplugs in my car. I was so proud of myself for having some, and really thought they were going to ward off a spike, but now that I've been home a few days my left ear tinnitus is significantly worse and more noticeable --- all because of this stupid man calling out raffle numbers over-exuberantly!

I wish that if I were to get a spike it would at least be for something really worth it, like a Florence and the Machine concert, or I don't know, salsa dancing. But the last three spikes have just been because of lame people or music being overly loud in situations I can't get out of. :(

So frustrating! Has anyone felt the same way?

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @lilith , What type of ear plugs did you wear? One hour is long time with some what loud music.
      How long ago was this?

3. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I don't know why everything is so loud either. It makes going outside and distracting yourself really difficult, so you feel the need to stay in the house more and focus on tinnitus in the silence. There are many things that I'd like to try and places I'd like to go, but my fears of tinnitus getting worse hinder me from engaging in most activities. I often feel a surge of anger when I'm outside and I'm startled by a loud noise all of a sudden, but I have to remind myself that most people aren't aware of tinnitus and don't know how damaging loud sounds can be. And I don't have the courage to speak up and ask people if they could quiet down. It is very frustrating though and I wish the world wasn't so loud.

• Agree Agree x 1