Occasional Ear Pain Behind Ear Lobe

Discussion in 'Support' started by akirakurosawa, Jun 12, 2020.

1. akirakurosawa

akirakurosawa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tympanogram
      Hello everyone. I’ve made just a handful of replies to date, but haven’t really started a post of my own.

Quickly: I’m at 6 weeks in with tinnitus. I went to see an ENT about a small amount of hearing loss, and after a tympanogram, I haven’t stopped hearing a high pitch ring (13kHz range). Mostly “brain tinnitus” as I have seen referenced here. My hearing was considered pretty normal, but what I wouldn’t give to undo that visit. I don’t blame the doctor, I feel it was a pretty standard test that I had a horrible reaction to.

On to the question. As of late, I’ve found my slight hearing loss ear in a bit of pain from time to time. It feels like it is internal, just behind my earlobe. It comes and goes from time to time since the test. I can not tell what it is.

Any thoughts on what that might be? I have seen a different ENT as a follow up to the first doctor, and everything looks normal. I do NOT want to get an MRI as from all accounts it is pretty loud, and I’ve had enough damage to my ear from tests.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Pain that originates behind the earlobe is secondary otalgia. Although etiology can be difficult to determine because of the complexity of the ear and eardrum.

The most common causes of secondary otalgia though is pain behind the earlobe and at the corner of the temporomandibular joint.

If you trust the second ENT opinion, then I would try using a cool compress ( a rinsed out washcloth) under your earlobe and on your temporomandibular joint to see if it helps with ear pain. Also let some cool water sit freely in your mouth on that side for ten seconds a few times a day and see if that helps.

Who knows - if silent TMJ caused your slight hearing loss feeling to began with.

• Like Like x 2
    3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Check my recent thread about my ear pain. Sounds somewhat similar but my pain sounds worse. It is often moderate for long periods of time but can suddenly become severe. I use ice cubes in a soft wash cloth because it's an awkward spot to place a compress. It doesn't help much and only for short periods if it even does (help). Maybe you'll have more luck.