Oh for a Moment of Pure Silence

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Elizabeth Lada, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Elizabeth Lada

Elizabeth Lada Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had constant, moderately severe tinnitus in both ears for 16 years, from unknown causes. I’m only partially habituated, and this continual screeching in my head is often hard to bear. A question: does this condition run in families? My 30 year old son recently developed it as well.

Hoping to find some help here - or at least find people who understand how insidiously difficult this condition is. Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Tinnitus is a symptom of some other condition, so what you are asking is really "are there conditions that run in families and have tinnitus as symptom?" - and the answer is yes. Otosclerosis is one such example, and I'm pretty sure it's not the only one.

T is often associated with hearing loss, so that would be a good thing to check. In PA you could go to the California Ear Institute (near 101 & University). I think highly of Dr Roberson there.

Good luck.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elizabeth Lada

Elizabeth Lada Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Greg for your quick reply. I don't have significant hearing loss (most of it in the same range as the tinnitus), so at least that's a positive. But I'll check out California Ear Institute - thanks for the recommendation!

- Elizabeth

4. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elizabeth Lada

Elizabeth Lada Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks - I think! Now my son has one more thing to blame me for o_O

But interesting to know that there could be a genetic component. Now if that could lead to finding the mechanism of action, and then some protocol to disrupt it. It seems like there would be a lot of profits in this for the pharma, but I don't see much evidence that there's a lot of research being done...Not that I'm advocating taking more drugs than you 'need' to, but if one would alleviate these symptoms I'd probably jump at taking it!