OK, Time to Tell My Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by DoubleD, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DoubleD

DoubleD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone, I made a promise to myself that if so ever got back to normal that I would write my story in the Success stories of Tinnitus talk. Although it is so similar to others it still must be shared.

It all started in February of last year. Prior to this occurring, I already had some degree of tinnitus. I could hear the ringing at night or when I had on ear protection. It never bothered me much. I also knew that I had some mild hearing loss. As much as possible I tried to protect my ears.

So anyway, one day I woke up and the ringing was unusually loud. I kinda of ignored it all day thinking it would go away. It didn't and continued for several more days. By the fourth or fifth day it began really driving me crazy. I couldn't sleep and it began to drive me into depression. I kept going to work but was not paying attention at work and my peers all knew something was definitely wrong with me.

My wife really tried to help and understand what I was going through. I went to my doctor, ENT and so forth. Same thing, couldn't find anything wrong and I was just going to have to live with it. I began a slide into deep depression.

I was totally devastated. I did not believe I could live with this noise in my ears and head. At that time it was loud 7-8. It was also multiple sounds at the same time. High pitched electronic hiss. It was a living nightmare that wouldn't end. By about 3 months I lost about 35 pounds. I was slowly wilting away.

I forget how I came across Tinnitus Talk , but when I did, I began reading the success stories. For the first time I found some hope! I read many stories about how you just have to wait and the Tinnitus will get better. Either lower in tone or habituation. Everyday I would go on TT. It would calm me down and give me hope.

At about 3 months, suddenly the Tinnitus seemed to lower in sound. I couldn't believe it. It was still there but not so intrusive. I slowly came out of depression. My appetite returned and I began to put back the weight.

I slowly began to feel better. The Tinnitus was still there but when I heard it I didn't get upset. Just like people said, it didn't bother me. I had no emotions when I heard it.

And now to present day, I feel like I am back to normal. I have to say I still have Tinnitus. It's seems to always be there. Sometimes loud and sometimes barely noticeable. I believe what a lot of people say that because I have no reaction to the Tinnitus, it sounds lower and lot of times I don't hear it at all. I never thought I would have made it back to this point.

I am so grateful to Tinnitus talk and all the people on here that shared their success stories. I hope this story will help someone like I was helped. Just like what I read the human brain and mind is so very powerful. I believe in time. Please just give it time. Everyone is different. Some get better quicker and some take longer but just hang in there. Aloha!

• Like x 9
      • Winner x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Hug x 1
    2. mikeplas

mikeplas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am on the same path and slowly on it get, I get better. Try to be positive and the believe my life will be fun again helps huge, thank DD for sharing here!

• Like Like x 2
    3. MelroyvandenBerg

MelroyvandenBerg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too loud music
      Thank you for sharing. I also didn't post anything yet on success stories. But I suffer from T since 2013. Pretty long time ago actually when I think about it. I fully understand your story, it was in fact very very similar.

It drove me crazy in the beginning. Even becoming worse and worse. I stop going to loud events (not just the disco, but also stopped going to the cinema etc.). Slowly it became better and better. I found out that the noise in a car on a high-way is enough to increase my T. So even in the car I use special made ear-plugs. This helped me a lot! Well not socially, but for my Tinnitus it helped me alot.

I took 2 years for me to get it under control. And I could hit myself when I accidentally made a mistake to say too long in busy area. At the moment you don't know if it's too loud, since you do not hear your T. An event with loud enough background noise (could be just people, music or anything), you only know afterwards when it was TOO loud. So be aware.

Your story inspired me to also write a bigger topic about my story actually. I wish you the best, good luck! And hopefully there will be a cure someday.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1