On the 5th of This Month, I Got Tinnitus. Question About Its Progression.

Discussion in 'Support' started by grotulon, Feb 16, 2017.

1. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems to fade every day, though at night it gets bad sometimes, and sometimes it gets worse with outside sounds, like a toilet flushing ect.

The first day I got it, it was a very low kind of hum which eventually turned into a high pitch ring, my ear felt full (this happens a lot, and usually sticking a rolled up piece of toilet paper and wiggling it around inside fixes it, though this time I hit the ear drum a few times, no wax came out, and it made me almost gag)

After that, an our or so later I had the humming which eventually turned into the high pitch stuff.

Nowadays it is almost gone during the day but at night even if I do not change rooms it seems to slowly grow, and in the mornings it is gone, I was taking prednisone for it, but after last Saturday I tapered off..

I am wondering what this all means, It doesn't seem like I habituated seeing as one night after it calmed down it was bad the next, and the tone seemed to have changed a lot.

I am wondering if it is worth another round of prednisone, I also took pseudophredrin for 3 days, and the clogged feeling disappeared though that side of my face feels semi tight. Also in the morning it might as well be non existent for a short time.

I really don't know if its going away or not, and I'm just a bit confused.

2. heartohelp

heartohelp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The nature of tinnitus is poorly understood, but from what you mentioned (the erratic behavior, spontaneity, intermittent sounds, sensitivity to specific types of sounds) is something I also went through when I had T for about a year. Good thing your health care provider put you on a corticosteroid. Those medications help decrease the inflammation when your inner ear and perhaps your brain get damaged. Keep a diary or tab on your T, and see if over the next few weeks it gets better and better. Talking to your HCP about taking more prednisone and/or other medications may also be beneficial if you do in fact feel you've had positive outcomes from taking them. Best of luck.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is yours gone?

Also its been almost 2 weeks since the initial T started, and i've been off prednisone for 2 or 3 days, Is it worth getting back on to see what happens? And did you see these kinds of improvements/oddities in the first week of having it?

4. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      How long did you have tinnitus before you started the prednisone?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      About a day or two.

6. heartohelp

heartohelp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Hi @grotulon,

apologies for the delayed response. Yes, my tinnitus is almost fully recovered from my 2nd bout with tinnitus that began mid last year. I would say as of right now, it's about 98% healed. The remaining 2% is intermittent tinnitus that I only experience sometimes via strenuous workout, but even that fades after a few minutes. Currently, I sleep with a window closed with no ambient or transient sounds (i.e., electrical outlets, heaters, fans), and I am basically in pure silence since I don't hear anything. My sleep is not affected at all thankfully. I have recovered from my initial bout with tinnitus as well (I have a lengthy post here when I joined last year), but that took a very long time without the aid of any medications and also without any really meaningful hope or positive news my doctor's told me. To be honest, some of us are lucky I would say, but I also took it upon myself to change my lifestyle. In all, I know it has had a profound impact on me coping with tinnitus. During my first bout of tinnitus, I was in a very dark place, but I decided it was in my best interest to at least challenge tinnitus but changing how I reacted to it and also by trying to implement lifestyle choices to see if they would aid in my recover. Best of luck to you, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards
      Gian C. Penola

7. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Lots of questions Gian.

What lifestyle changes did you make?

How long do your first bout of tinnitus last?

Did it get progressively better throughout it's course? Or just suddenly dissipates?

How did you get your 2nd bout of tinnitus?

Are you sure you haven't just habituated?

What made the biggest difference, in your mind?

Thanks,
      Matt