One Month Into Tinnitus — Afraid of Everything — What to Eat? Is Running Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lesvil, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Lesvil

Lesvil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi, my name is Leslie and I've had tinnitus for a month.

It's stress related and seems to have gotten worse instead of better. I'm afraid to eat, afraid to run.

There is so much information out there that's contradictory. Tinnitus has taken over my life.

Is running good or bad?

Do I have to watch everything I eat or go back to my normal routine? Help!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

If you get spikes after running, then listen to your body and don't run (at least for now). Try to stick to quieter places (as opposed to spending a lot of time near roads with trucks and motorcycles).
      See if you get significant spikes after eating diary foods, or eating foods with a lot of spices/salt/sugar. If you don't notice a spike, don't worry about it. I doubt diet can make any difference as far as the long run is concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Exercise is good...I can't see how running would make tinnitus worse.
      Good diet is also very important...definitely watch what you eat.
      Try to eliminate excessive salt and sugar and stay off junk food for a while.
      Also you said it is stress related....I know it is easier said than done, but try to cut it out as much as you can.
      If it means letting go of some projects, deadlines etc...just do what you have to.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Luminox

Luminox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus is by all means a very foreign condition to our bodies. Our brain is trying to recalibrate and this process is extremely odd to the nervous system. And that's is why anxiety and fear usually show up.

The first line of defense against Tinnitus is to try to keep living our life as normal as possible. However, as you have already noticed, stress magnifies Tinnitus exponentially, and it is crucial to develop a good strategy to curb stress.
      Sparing ourselves from unnecessary exposure, vigorous exercise along with good sleep are great elements to keep these unwanted and horrible feelings at bay.

As far eating is concern, you will have to figure out what works for you. Tinnitus is very complex and personal condition within a broad spectrum and you will have to make your own personal adjustments in your eating habits.

Don't be afraid, in most of the cases Tinnitus gets better with time or we get better at Tinnitus with time (habituate). Whatever happens first!

5. NinPhan

NinPhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alice in Chains concert / Noise Induced
      You think stress is the cause but now you're stressing. Gotta stay calm. Meditate, do breathing exercise, use earplugs with your phone as often as possible with a tinnitus masker so the tinnitus doesn't cause you additonal strenght.

Take solace in the fact that many of us who suffer and have suffered for several years don't stress about it anymore. You will adapt, humans adapt well. I don't think you should be focusing on changing your entire life around it. I woudn't stop running.

• Like Like x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi Lesvil,

Sorry about your predicament, and welcome.

First of all I doubt that your T is caused by stress. The reason I say that is that researchers believe that in an overwhelming percentage of cases, T is due to some damage to the auditory system, sometimes not even detected by our crude hearing tests.

What diagnostic tests have you undergone? What did you do to find your root cause?
      Here's a flowchart you can use: https://www.tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-clinicians/diagnostic-flowchart

WRT to running, I doubt it will damage your hearing, but exercise in general can make T spike, if I believe the reports in here.

As for diet, it all depends what your root cause is: if you had endolymphatic hydrops or Meniere's, you would most likely be told to avoid caffeine/sugar/salt/alcohol, but you don't know what is affecting you, so perhaps it would be wise to take that as first step.

I find that my T is unaffected by anything: whatever I eat, whatever I listen to, whatever I do, my T doesn't change at all. But this can vary among individuals, so it helps to listen to your body signals.

At first I had taken most foods out of my diet out of fear. Then I slowly reintegrated them, and I now eat the same as pre-T.

Good luck!

7. marc 1974 london

marc 1974 london Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise i think ? stress
      Perfect

8. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Tinnitus is very stressful, like nothing else iv experienced. Its a process of learning to manage it and accepting your limitations. Its a big thing to take in which is why the beginning is always the hardest.

Its been similar to a long term break up, for me. You are in-fact grieving a loss, a loss of silence. At first you have no idea how your going to go on, its all you can think about. Its driving you crazy, more than crazy but as TIME goes on you think about them less and less and slowly start to get on with your life. Eventually its a blip. It all depends on the nature of your Tinnitus though as i've been lucky to experience fading and general healing from noise induced Tinnitus.

Im a keen runner and have continued to run for the most part. Its not had any negative effects on ME but everyone is different. My Tinnitus is noise induced and non somatic. All you can do is try it and live life to the fullest without doing anything to interfere with the healing process. Running may effect your healing process if you suspect its something to do with posture, neck issues, jaw issues. Everything becomes like a gamble after a while and depends on the person. Some people like to play ultra safe and avoid any kinda of set back. Some people go all in and take risks. Best you can do is take calculated risk and tread on the side of caution.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've been a distance runner all my life. I continued running with tinnitus and have to admit there are times when my T spikes afterwards. That said, it's never permanent and I believe it helps me in the long run (no pun intended).
      Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. sky_high

sky_high Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lexapro / stress / unknown
      I am a casual runner, about 25 km / week and often my tinnitus spikes after a run. It subsides to the normal level after a couple of hours.

"The most typical form of tinnitus after exercise is caused by the increased blood flow in your body. When you exercise, your heart pumps more blood to help support your muscles with oxygen. This can result in extra blood pumped to areas that may not need it, like your ears." (from livestrong.com)

However exercise helps me cope better with stress, anxiety and tinnitus overall, so I would not give it up completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      running should be fine.

12. marc 1974 london

marc 1974 london Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise i think ? stress
      Run, mask it... enjoy it

Nothing is stopping me jumping on the motocross bike, screams like mad afterwards

Might be your last run, make it the best run yet

• Like Like x 1
    13. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Good diet healthy body health mind and probably just a better approach to T. You’ll be ok, look most of us made it through (not cured but ok, happy, getting by).

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lesvil

Lesvil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks, you're right a healthy diet (I was barely eating) has helped. A lot of pray and prayerful meditation and restorative yoga has really helped a lot. Thanks

15. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      I'm glad. Studying/concentrating helps me forget :) but also good food is always such a good influence on my psyche.

16. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I'm glad your feeling better! tinnitus can be very scary at onset.

17. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I run everyday, I've been running all my life and I'll probably run for the rest of it ;)

18. shazza

shazza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      firecracker

19. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      Running is one of the few activities that makes my tinnitus fade into nothing. Try to have a hot bath after running and try to relax.

20. shazza

shazza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      firecracker
      Hi. Your post has been the most informative and factual I have seen. You are so right. It is a loss. There is no point in looking for a cure. There is none. You have to absorb and make it your new norm. Well done you and I am not being arrogant. T is not curable. It is normally a lifelong condition and I know. Mine started in 1964!!!! Keep posting. You are honest and not giving false hope.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Running makes me all sweaty and puffed out. I prefer just walking.

22. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Thanks.

23. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      positive feedback loop

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I'd be running too if I ate as many humans as you did. Just joking of course. Trying to get my mind off my noise.

25. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I'm starting to think you get off on the idea of me eating humans. :nailbiting::sneaky:

26. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Coffee Girl is a maneater?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    27. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I've read the Jeffrey Dahmer book and was putting two and two together. You running from the law maybe? I say silly things when my noise is bad.