One-upsmanship

Discussion in 'Support' started by JohnAdams, Oct 14, 2018.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      This condition is really bad and horrific. Don't underestimate that fact.

One thing that makes it so hard is when you try and explain it to people they try and downplay what you're going through out of ignorance.

This guy at my work invited me to his Baptist church a week ago and it was soooo unnecessarily loud that I'm pretty sure it made my tinnitus and hyperacusis a little worse.

I tried to talk to him about it and he tried to relate to me be saying that he has depression too.

He has a great job, a beautiful wife and 3 healthy children and is in good health and told me he struggles with depression.

I asked what about and he said "fear of condemnation by God" which, yeah I have that too. It makes me strive towards perfection, which is what the Bible says all Christians should do, but it's hard, and the Bible affirms that also.

But it's like, he just didn't get it. I'm on a different level of depression from daily torture like all of us here.

Nobody that has not been tortured like us can understand. They just can't.

I also have a close family member that tries to tell me they have tinnitus too.

Funny because they never said a word about it until I told them I have it and this family member used to go out the farm, shoot guns, go to the lake and water ski, and listen to me play drums and never once said anything about tinnitus, or hyperacusis.

I think people that don't struggle with tinnitus just don't get it. Another friend of mine has an abusive wife and he tries to relate my suffering to his and it is just so much different.

This is why there's only chump change going towards our plight. There is no awareness. Welcome to earth.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Spot on @JohnAdams
      At least when we come on here we are recognised by people who are genuinely experiencing a similar plight.
      We are all reluctant heroes, trying so hard to cope, and to come through - to still make something of our compromised lives.
      Very best wishes to every one of us,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1
    3. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      my husband got tinnitus and hearing loss when he was in iraq. the night I met him he was wearing his plugs in the bar. he doesnt complain other than to say theyre shot. he still runs his business does his thing.. he has degenerative disk disorder in his back which bothers him sooo much more. he is always around loud equipment, shoots guns, listens to music, wears ear buds and wears his plugs accordingly. but just told me the other day that his ears still ring and have since '05. people handle it differently. some people obsess on things(like me) however minor- obv tinnitus is not minor! (what im going through now is not minor but I am kind of a hypochondriac in general lol)

• Hug Hug x 1