Orthodontics with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis — Can It Make Things Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by eagerUser, Aug 27, 2019.

1. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi,

I am about to undergo orthodontic treatments because I have misaligned teeth. It will definitely help my TMJ but I'm afraid it may flare up my hyperacusis. Does anyone have the same experience?

I don't know how loud orthodontics is but dentists apparently love noise LOL. Does that potentially have any effect on hyperacusis & tinnitus? I'm rather afraid of aural pain afterwards!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Noone here?
      Should i wear my earplugs?

3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I experienced adult orthodontics with metal braces over a 2 year period, but it ended a few months before the T started.

Most of it is not loud at all, as it involves gluing brackets onto teeth, and placing wires and rubber bands. The only part that was noisy was at the very end, when they remove the brackets, and the orthodontist had to polish the residual glue off the teeth.

Earplugs will not help with the noise from the last step due to the occlusion effect. Some users have used noise canceling headphones for these types of situations.

Best of luck with your orthodontic journey.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Is there a chance orthodontics make T worse because my T is somatic and clenching my jaw or simply moving it changes my T. I have been told it reduces my ear problems as it maybe the root cause of my T. Is there someone here with post-T orthodontics experience?