Other Than "NO!", Is There Anything POSITIVE That Has Resulted from Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 85dB T, Aug 21, 2018.

1. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Other than "NO!", is there anything positive that has resulted from your tinnitus?

I'm no longer materialistic. I could care less about the car you drive, clothes you wear or vacations you take. I have none of those desires which is a type of freedom I am learning to appreciate.

And please don't invite me to your party unless it's for people in this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I am not a introvert as I used to be before. Now I life live and do stuff I didnt do before. I eat bad food, drink, curse, etc. YOLO

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tinnitus fundamentally altered the trajectory of my life, which had been headed in some problematic directions; it was also the thing that got me to actually move from the city into pristine woods, which I'd wanted to do for a long time.

I still don't like it, though ;)

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Linearb, glad I asked as your reply matches my experience.

1) changed the direction of my life to more spiritual.
      2) moved out of the city to the mountains.
      3) still have T which is horrible but think it has steered me away from a life of vanity.
      4) learning there is value in suffering.

Thanks for your reply!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Minor sounds used to Really Bother me. The first thing I would do after entering a hotel room would be to turn off the fridge. Hearing the neighborhood kids playing outside of my home would make me feel horrible. Only 1.5 years of my tinnitus therapy was enough to significantly increase my tolerance to minor sounds(!)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      I agree. I always wanted to have a new car, nice house, be a surgeon. Now, I have only what is needed and nothing else. I don't care much for luxury. I still want to work in the medical field but more so to help others with ailments. Maybe become a physician's assistant.

Also, I have learned to not stress over the small things. Things that might have stressed me out before don't really have an impact on my life now that I see the bigger picture. My relationship with my girlfriend has also withstood many rigors but has helped us grow closer together.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      i realized it doesn't matter if you are a billion CEO of a major business or a mentally ill person shitposting on a tinnitus forum, it's what you value in life that makes life special. Being a failure at life is magik, High level meme magik.

@threefirefour

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      what a normal person would consider a failure, or misfit, or loser is what you need to embrace and strive to become the biggest failure misfit loser of all time.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I've become more aware of the fact that there are a lot of people in this world that are stressed and suffering internally. For many different reasons. Not just because of T & H. This expanded awareness has made me more patient when dealing with people that are difficult and irritating. I cut them a lot more slack than I use to.

Additionally, I've come to appreciate solitude even more. Even though I can no longer experience and enjoy silence. Music is still very important to me. It can sooth my mind and spirit in ways that words alone cannot.

• Like Like x 3