Outdoor Festivals — Are Sounds Less Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Jun 23, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hi all,

There's an outdoor "music in the park" thing in my town every weekend. It's fast approaching and wondering if I should go.

Literally everyone seems to go so it's a big social event which is why I really want to go.

Does sound outside disperse quicker or am I imagining things? I guess I could just take my decibel app, wear ear plugs if necessary and stay away from the speakers as much as possible?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sounds are definitely less dangerous in outdoor environments because they can dissipate and don't bounce around as much.

If you're a ways back from the speaker stacks, sounds not that scary to me, but for peace of mind it wouldn't hurt to get a real decibel meter for $20 -- I've found that my phone app maxes out at about 85db, so that can provide false comfort. For instance my motorcycle at full rev is 110db on a real meter, but shows at 85 on my phone, not good.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Thanks, helpful as always!

My phone reads 100db + which is good but not sure how accurate.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Go enjoy your life the way your want it but take good precaution. Staying away from the speakers as far as you feel comfortable is a good way to go. I remember going to a Valentine's ball held in our church within the year from the T, and I took the ear plugs with me sitting at the furthest point from the speakers. I also excused myself every now and then and walked out of the loud dance to rest the ears. No damage done and enjoying a great night with my wife. It is important to use prudence but do go back to enjoy your life as much as possible, as we need to minimize the bondage of T on our life to gain confidence that we can co-exist peacefully with this beast.

5. I think duration is a factor...and your level of T..I don't know..I'm dying to go back to some but can't.

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What app are you using mate?

7. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      I've been to plenty of festivals and have been fine. They're probably the best way to enjoy music as a T sufferer, as you can always step back from the music. Obviously don't go too close to speakers etc and just be sensible.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sound meter professional on a Nexus 5 running a fairly recent build of Android.

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Oh ok. I wonder if my iPhone is accurate? Says my car is about 70-75db on average. It's a sports car and pretty loud, some here say their car goes up to 100db?? I wonder if my meter is under where it should be. Even when I joy ride, take it hard through the gears, never goes beyond 75db. Only if it hit a bump it spikes for a second to about 85db with the hard suspension. Wondering how accurate that is. Guess I need a real meter to find out.

10. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Anyone can recommend a reliable iPhone sound meter app?

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would inherently trust an iphone app more just because the hardware is a lot more predictable... but, I wouldn't chance it when you can get a real dB meter to compare it to for $25 on Amazon.

The fact that you do see some spikes to 85db, means you don't have the same problem I do with my phone -- it just outright maxes out at about 81db, never goes higher. But, that doesn't mean that it's really 85 db. If you got a dB meter and did the comparison once, if they are the same up to 100db or whatever, then you could trust the phone more.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      • Informative Informative x 1