Panic from Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Musicforever, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Musicforever

Musicforever Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/19/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So ever since I developed tinnitus which was about 2-3 weeks ago I have constantly been worrying.

My tinnitus isn't constant so when I'm not hearing it I panic worrying when it will come back. My air conditioner makes a sort of ringing noise when it comes on and it makes me panic thinking it's the tinnitus.

Also hearing noises on tv or just anywhere that even sound close to tinnitus noises sends me into a panic thinking it is back. I get bad headaches from all the stress and worry.

When the tinnitus does come back I just sit there and feel very sick and full of worry.

How can I go back to my normal life before tinnitus as much as possible and not worry so much?

2. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Stress and worry can bring on T and even make it worse. I know it is difficult but the less you think about it the better chances it will go away on its own. Stay away from loud music and loud sounds which damage your ears and can make T permanent. When the T is present play sounds of nature or your favorite tunes to help mask the T. Make an appt with an ENT and have your ears examined to rule out an infection, excess ear wax or any other problem. Also have you started on any new meds or take alot of aspirin type pain releivers, drink alot of caffeine...

3. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sorry you're feeling like this. I went through the same thing when I first got tinnitus. I developed it at 17 as well (I've had it before, but I think it may have become permanent half a year ago.) You're feeling very scared now because this is all new to you, but it'll get easier. Eventually you won't feel that fear and anxiety sensation when you notice it in a quiet room. If you can only hear in silence, that's a positive sign. Just protect your ears from now. Bring earplugs with you whenever you go out, so just in case you find yourself in a loud environment, you can still keep your ears safe. And it can help to distract yourself and keep yourself busy throughout the day. Hope you feel better :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Many people do this when they first get tinnitus. You are not use to it and your mind...for sure is not use to it. Possibly talking it out with a loved one or someone you trust could be helpful. This board is always here to support you as well. It takes a good amount of time, to somewhat adjust to the tinnitus. ALL of us went through this and you are not alone, at all in this.

Possibly seeing an ENT might be beneficial as well. Remain strong and take care...

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you had T for less than a month and you are already getting T-free time, you are well on your way to being healed. These pauses ought to get longer and longer, as time goes on. You are very fortunate. You have every reason to rejoice, there is no reason for you to panic.

Just make sure to protect your ears from now on, as now that our ears have been compromised, something that a healthy person won't even notice can lead to a permanent spike. I would also avoid even mild noises like that of a vacuum cleaner, blender, and lawn mower (even when used while wearing ear protection).

• Like Like x 1
    6. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      I get this panic too. When I get it I go out for a walk. Sitting in my room makes it worse :(