Parotid Glands and Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by new2this, Dec 1, 2016.

1. new2this

new2this Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis? not sure
      Hey guys, Still got T and that weird sound in my hearing loss ear. I am starting to slowly accept I probably am suffering from otosclerosis, when all of a sudden the past week something strange happened which made me start questioning things anew.

Recently, every time I eat, I notice I need to stop and take a break because my jaw starts to hurt. I suspected TMJD, but never got around to seeing someone about it. This past week, its gotten a lot worse. Today, I had a sandwich and as soon as I was done, my "jaw" started swelling uncontrollably (well, the feeling, i looked fine) to the point where my head felt like it was exploding. I mean serious head pressure, it was hurting. Second time this week that happened. It freaked me out. Well i googled, and it seems like its the parotid gland "swelling", which is EXACTLY where the swelling regions were. I also noticed the parotid glands seem to be right where the ear is.

Has anyone ever considered this when dealing with hearing loss/ potential tinnitus? It may be a long shot, but it turns out if you have parotid swelling you need to see an ENT anyway, which is funny, that theyre all related?

Thoughts?

h9991831_003.jpg

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Take a few tests to diagnose it. The sooner the better. Hopefully you can rule it out.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      new2this

new2this Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis? not sure
      I have taken a few tests. The basic tests to confirm mild conductive hearing loss. But no imaging, my doctor still won't allow it/doesn't think its necessary.

4. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      To check whether or not you have a blocked parotid gland is really easy - I had it about 6 years ago (before tinnitus started and totally unrelated).

Choose some food your really like, something that makes your mouth water and stick it in front of you. You should notice the level of saliva production in your mouth increases, as your brain anticipates eating and readies your mouth for it - but don't start eating it. If the pain increases over a minute or so, even without eating, then it is quite likely that it is a blocked gland. If it doesn't start until you are physically eating it, then it suggests that it is not.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What are tests are you talking about?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      new2this

new2this Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis? not sure
      I believe I posted them in another thread and you commented on them.

Just a general hearing test which showed some conductive hearing loss (which also showed no acoustic reflex? and the air bone gap) and tuning fork test.

I dont hear the loss yet in every day life, but I do hear it sometimes when I listen to my headphones. The music never seems quite as loud as it does in my right ear.