Pathogenesis of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Greg Sacramento, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Of all the professional articles and studies that I have read on tinnitus (maybe 3000 in total), this article provides some solid thoughts.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5
    2. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      It is a study that deals with somatic tinnitus.
      It is an unresolved question to what extent somatic elements also play a role in noise-induced tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tinniger The theory is that adopted body posture or sometimes starting at birth has responsibility for most all with somatic tinnitus, but also for some with noise induced tinnitus. Improper muscle balance can effect all the major systems of the body. Joints and disc from muscle imbalance place pressure on nerves.

For those who start to do yoga with forward head bending will see nothing but body improvement unless they have muscular imbalances of the back, shoulder and cervical muscles. Those who start to run will see health benefits unless they have one leg much shorter than the other. The first thing that a chiropractor will do is measurements. Any NFL or sports doctor does the same.

I said to my neuro that I read a lot about those attending a concert and getting tinnitus where I don't read as much about those going to a movie theater getting tinnitus. He called me back in a week and said we have a research group on this. They have completed a small informal study on movie theater and concert goers. They found that those that attend a concert have 5X more onset of tinnitus over those that attend movies even when the decibel output was considered to be the same. They consulted audio sound engineers and said that there's nothing to explain this from their knowledge. A bigger study may take place to include body posture and forward head benders for movie and concert attenders per tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my opinion: For seventy percentage with tinnitus I strongly advice to read the introduction link in the lead off post of this thread. For 20 to 30 percentage of others without having any physical elements as only having faulty coding of acoustic information then don't bother to read.

For twenty percent having complete physical tinnitus and for many with a partial combination of acoustic and physical the following may apply. Modulation, tinnitus moving from one ear to the other over the course of a day, increasing or decreasing volume during a 24 hour period, having headaches, stress, TMJ, soreness in the neck, shoulders, or soreness and pain in any muscles or joints within the entire body.

Increasing and decreasing volume from modulation is often caused from the upper trapezius. Bilateral tinnitus is often caused by the masseter muscle. Both muscles have a connection to the dorsal cochlear nucleus. Pressure to the mastoid emissary vein can stop any improvement of tinnitus and is often why one side rings louder. Physical tinnitus mostly involves the trapezius area with muscle spasms and damage causing a straighten c-spine, and that causes the following. C1 -C2 discs to not move freely which can cause TMJ/D, an imbalance of SCM muscles, nerve compression at the C5-C6. Nerve compression can also act on his own from an injury. Whiplash with an extended jaw can involve everything mentioned in this paragraph.

High pitch ringing is often a disorder from pressure to joints and nerves and often from muscle imbalance. The DCN function - surrounding nerves and possible ear disorders evaluation always should be made. Muscle imbalance is often caused from the c spine, but also it can involve the entire spine. The c1 and C2 area is the most concerning area to physical tinnitus including TMJ. If the C1 and C2 isn't able to adjust freely then the entire c spine has probably straighten. A straighten c spine can cause tinnitus if it places pressure between discs, onto nerves and imbalances muscles.

After almost a year, I have found something that helps. Having several degrees in physical and disease biology did not help me in finding a proper treatment until I decided to treat my c spine as a sponge. My procedure: Pressure on then slowing off of the c spine (back of head) using a folded towel always being followed by left side (my worst ringing side) on and off pressure at each disc level from 3 to 7. Massage of the trapezius muscle followed and never touching the mastoid area or the front of the neck. After a few weeks of doing this, I can get a 75% deduction from my very severe high pitch tinnitus. Although as soon as I start forward head bending, which I'm always doing, like typing this message it all comes back.

I hoping by the end of the summer for permanent relief of 75% by getting a lasting curve back into my c spine and with that all muscles and nerves including nerve pressure taken off the DCN may resolve. I do have a small amount of hearing loss from an ear syringing years ago -April 2011- causing tinnitus, so I expect that most of my improvement will come from correction of my physical T from a year ago. Maybe all of my physical T will correct.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    5. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Can you Please contact me? I have everything you describe and want to learn more to try. Thank you

6. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is this from 2005? Further researches must have been done in regards of the subject I think.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Joe Bananas I have posted many of the theories discussed in this article within the last year before I read this article. It's only 3rd year physiology. I didn't need to be a brain surgeon to understand this stuff. The physical tinnitus profit making community wants to make money selling you every treatment and device imaginable. That is why there's so much confusion with understanding and treating physical tinnitus.

The upper cervical joints are sensory. The vestibular system does regulate adjustments of body positions. Contractions of neck muscles have to stress to cause damage to the C1 and C2 and this can straighten or compress the entire c spine. When this happens, the joints signal to the auditory system and the brainstem. This is what most physical tinnitus is.

@Benoves I read your medical history. You were born with some hearing loss and you have Lyme disease. The two may connect at your present age tinnitus. Did your mother have the same? Also do you know where your magnesium levels are at? Some unclear indications from your blood work may show severe low magnesium and copper levels which could be related to Lyme. If so, I would get some magnesium injections. This could make a big difference with tinnitus loudness, tone variation levels and any muscle imbalance interference that may be also part of your tinnitus equation.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Singer

Singer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014 (but I had it mildly in 2005)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure on a gig
      @Greg Sacramento, Would you be willing to create a video and post a you tube link or post here what exactly you do w/ the towel to reduce your T by 75% please?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Are you sure that the loudness in movie theaters is the same to the loudness of concerts? From my own experience I know that after a concert I would always have this ringing that would go away but I never had it from watching movies in theaters and trust me I always watch action movies so there are a lot of explosions in them.... I have never experienced tinnitus after a movie., but always after a concert (no matter whether I was sitting or standing while listening to it).

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Apolonia Audio engineers said that volume is comparable in the Sacramento area. Otherwise, I think what I said has agreement with what you are saying. They did some gathering of local associated hospital ER data, but it was very limited. It wasn't data from hundreds of people.