Paxil

Discussion in 'Support' started by kaycee, Nov 27, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      So I went into the hospital again so I can get my prescription. Anyways after how many doctors who have looked in my ear said there was no fluid. This doctor last night saw fluid in my ears. What do do??

The prescription I got was ambien to help sleep but take only.4 days then begin paxil i was prescribed this by my primary care doctor. Not a psychiatrist. I have gotten numerous hits saying not to until I see a psychiatrist and since I have had T for 3 weeks that I should not i hate medications. But I'm lacking sleep I've lost 12-17 pounds in 3 weeks..I had 2 hours of sleep Tuesday night and barely any.other nights. I feel like I'm going to go nuts if I don't and if I do I will anyways.

I need advice..help feedback how you all are able to cope with this without taking prescribed meds. Please help I am in dire need as this is the beginning and im.so scared. Thank you

2. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I am no better than "Dr. Google" when it comes to meds, so...

...either you:

1) ask Dr. Google, or
      2) you can ask Dr. Nagler on this forum.

My suggestion.

3. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Who is Dr nagler?

4. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
    5. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I should mention that Melatonin is a good starting point as a sleep aid; 6mg, ½-hour before bedtime. Can be used long-term. No major side-effects unlike real sleep aids.

If your tinnitus is real bad, then Melatonin will probably not do the trick, however.

TT-member @Dr. Ancill has written a number of posts on how to get good sleep. He is a psychiatrist, but does not check in with the board as much as he used to. But you can still search through his posts...

6. mmacabre
      Ape-like

mmacabre Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I would recommend NOT starting paxil, as that is unlikely to help you sleep better, in fact it is likely that it would make you more anxious. If you're going to take an SSRI, don't choose Paxil. Don't take psych drugs unless prescribed by a psychiatrist.

• Like Like x 1
    7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I was prescribed Paxil by a psychiatrist but simply didn't have guts to take it.
      It is one of the most potent ADs on the market and withdrawal can be quite nasty.
      I'm too scared as is and just couldn't risk t getting worse or putting up with some bad side effects.
      I took Zoloft instead but didn't really help.
      It's not an easy choice to make:(

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Remeron is a very good AD and anxiety med that lots of people here have very good results with .....even helps with sleep ....I too take it and it helps

9. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @valeri

I'm taking remeron. Helps with anxiety, depression, sleep somewhat for me.
      Everyone has different results but remeron has a fairly consistent review in this area. Also I take gabapentin which helps unnerve me.

I hope you find relief. It's tough not knowing what to take, but I have extremely sensitive system and these helped me.

10. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Larry OT

A lot of people on this board alone take remeron and it's very helpful.
      On the other side one of my friend from the board has taken it for a very short time and it caused her t to spike and also ended up with new tones.
      I guess we are all different, but it's good when you find something that helps:)

11. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
    12. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Some days I take Valium to calm down, some days melatonin, but every day I use masking:(

13. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Have you had nights with nonsleep? @valeri

14. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Oh yes, many ....
      Still do:(

15. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      How do you function for work ? Sorry so many questions I'm 3 weeks into this and it's taking a toll. So I've been told this happens in the beginning

16. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      kaycee
      I noticed that your T just started (11/2014); of course, you have many questions (and anxieties). I recall my first few months in 'the PIT'; it was terrifying and overwhelming (hope it is not as bad for you).

While in the 'PIT' I considered using some anti-anxiety (or AD) medications; however, I chose not to and I'm glad I did. However, had I chose to use them I was determined they would be short-term and highly monitored (for success and for effectiveness). I'm very glad I didn't use any; I have heard they can have really bad effects on T (oh the irony). That being said, I am certainly not passing judgment on use of them; if they are needed and work (for you) then use them; I would just be very cautious.

T can be managed without ADs...

Mark

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Thanks @Mark McDill

How did you manage without? I'm having a difficult time and it's showing and affecting me and my boyfriends relationship. I'm not functioning right and won't sleep even if I tried I had to take ambien I don't know what to do anymore to sleep! :(

18. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

kaycee
      By no means was it easy; it was terrifying and 'life-bending' (it sucked -- I can't say anything better about it). My audiologist kept reminding me that T is serious business; it reduces tough guys/gals to continual tears and uncontrollable anxiety (I had myriad crisis). However (and this is a big however), there is great hope for you and the management of your T -- T is manageable and you will get your life back (just not right away -- sorry)

Once again, I would tell anyone that if they are struggling to 'stay in this life' to consider professional care and the prospect of ADs to get them over the hump. I'm just personally oriented to try everything possible short of pharmaceuticals; I'm just not a fan of them.

How did I survive? As you've implied, sleep was the first 'hill to charge'. I knew that if I could get to sleep at night I would have a foot-hold. I spent the better part of a year on OTC Ibuprofen PM and Z-Quil (combined with a LOT of aerobic exercise to tire me out -- gee I was in great shape). Even then, my T would wake me out of a deep sleep (T screaming beyond all reason). The next thing I invested in were hearing aids with white noise generators -- they were a God send (truly an answer to prayer). The white noise generators, though not enough the first couple months, eventually masked out my T and I was able to sleep (yes, it is kind of weird having that much white noise pumped into your ears -- but it was far better than the T).

All this time I was still considering ADs as a viable option; but I just hung in there and determined in my heart/mind to learn to 'sleep through the T'. Eventually it worked; but it was hard (I feel for you). The white noise generators played a very major role in that. But it was worth it; I sleep through my T 'a-la-natural' now and have no dependency on ADs

Mark

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      How do you get the hearing aids? I've been to the audiologist but they were no help as I've read as well. Just told me I have eustachian tube dysfunction allergic rhinitis and then the tinnitus it should go away after using flonase and claritin and I won't need to see you again. I mean really ( I've gotten no professional help still lookin for a psychiatrist in sacramento ca area . Did you seek psychiatric help?

20. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

kaycee
      They're not just hearing aids; they have programmable white noise (the white noise can be adjusted to your specific T range/pitch/volume). They are relatively new on the market (last couple of years). I got them at Nebraska Hearing Instruments (I can give you more details if you like).
      In a strange way, your diagnosis is a positive thing; I believe allergies and e-tube dysfunction can be managed quite well (if that is the true cause of your T).

I thought about psychiatric help (certainly not adverse to it) but it wasn't necessary; I learned to rest in my faith and crank up the white noise generators. None of it was easy; I still recall being terrified going to bed (I knew my T would start screaming at me -- and I sleep like a typical guy, not even nuclear explosions would wake me up)

Yeah, I know what you mean about professional help -- there's not much out there for T. Always seek out a good audiologist that understands (and works with) T sufferers; they are your best bet.

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. bper12

bper12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hello Kaycee
      I do hope that you will have a short visit with Tinnitus and that in a few weeks it will be all something in the past.
      If it does persist the first 3-4 months are the worst and I would suggest using medication to ease the trauma that this condition causes.
      I am using Mirtazazpine also known as Remeron, I discussed what drug to use with my doctor and my pharmacist and an agreement was decided that Mirtazapine was the least ototoxic (ear poison) than other drugs and that this drug would help my sleep and and help with the anxiety, I have found that it does both of these for me.
      I would suggest you consult with your doctor to see if this is a beneficial route that you may follow, I would suggest for the sleep problem start at 15mg, and for the anxiety increase to 30-45mg, it does take a couple of weeks to feel any benefit.
      I am no medical expert and can only say what is helping me.
      The Paxil that you mentioned might not be a good idea if you are female, see
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paroxetine
      Every one is different in their reactions to prescribed drugs and you may have to go through a few tests to find the one that benefits you, but always ask is it ototoxic.
      Kaycee, I and the others on this forum wish you well and know what you are experiencing, but it is early days and and it will ease.
      Regards

22. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      @Mark McDill

What is the info in the Nebraska hearing instruments

23. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014

Thank you @bper12
      What were you referring to in the dosages you were mentioning? I will speak to another doctor about remeron as I have heard about that as well. It does not spike your T?

24. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      kaycee
      They may have an outlet a lot closer to you but here's the one in Omaha (call the '888' number to find one near to you.

Also, before purchasing expensive hearing aids with white noise generators, I would highly suggest you explore the allergy/sinus/e-tube issue first -- that may be a solve for you.

Nebraska Hearing Instruments (NHI)
      7829 Chicago Plaza
      Omaha, NE 68114

Phone: (888) 610-9899
      Local Phone: 402-933-1453
      http://www.nhi-omaha.com/

Mark

25. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Hello friends, really am struggling. My DR. said she has worked for the veterans administration. There she says she worked with many veterans who had tinnitus. She said paxil worked good for their depression and Tinnitus.
      Can anyone offer their experience with this med? I greatly appreciate it.
      Thank you. I will read the Paxil thread too.

26. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Three weeks isn't long (though 3 weeks without sleep is!) so I would hope that your T will go away or diminish a lot. Three weeks is not a long time to have T so chances are it will get a whole lot better if you can find a way to relax and not worry. I wouldn't rush into any strong medication so early but of course you must decide what's best for you.