PC Gaming: Headset or Speakers?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jocke, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jocke
      Balanced

jocke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Okay so I got tinnitus a week ago and now I want to play games but I have heard that you should never use earbuds if you have tinnitus.

So I am wondering if I should use headset just at lower volume or speakers at low volume. I don't want to make my tinnitus worse, just play games and have fun.

If you have any other suggestions please share them with me. Thanks:)

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You will find all kinds of advice on the internet, sometimes from self proclaimed experts. If you want professional advice, go to professionals (doctors), preferably a few of them so you can have multiple data points.
      Whatever you use (headphones, speakers, ear buds, in-ear-monitors), make sure the volume is reasonable.

I personally like to use insulated headphones (either passive insulation, or active noise cancelling), so that I don't have to crank up the volume to compete with external sounds. It allows me to play games & music at very low volumes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jocke
      Balanced

jocke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      @GregCA Thank you so much for the answer.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Many people on this forum advise against the use of headphones, even at low volume. In my personal experience sound going directly into your ear can do a lot of damage.

It would be safer to use the speakers. You could also turn the speakers so that they face the wall. This way, if there is any unexpected loud noise, at least it will not be directed right at you.

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...id-of-quiet-voices-loud-everything-else.22427

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JimJimJalabim
      Lucky

JimJimJalabim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/23/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry about your T. New to it myself.

There seem to be enough anecdotal stories on here about headphones exacerbating tinnitus that it might be worth discontinuing use, especially in the immediate future. Likewise, many effective behavioral therapies include listening to white noise, even though headphones to mask the sound.

See a doctor, get your ears and hearing checked, ask them about things to avoid - but to err on the side of caution, I would avoid headphone/earbud use until after speaking with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If your tinnitus was caused by "loud noise" then I advise you not to use any type of headphones including a headset even at low volume, as there is a risk that it could make your tinnitus worse.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jocke
      Balanced

jocke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker