People with Severe Tinnitus, Why Not Start Enjoying Loud Things and Stop Worrying?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anyone here that has very severe, debilitating tinnitus that are basically on the verge of suicide, thought about/went through with purposely exposing themselves to amounts of noise you usually wouldn’t expose yourself to and just let go.

I’d think that if your life is destroyed to that extent then your Tinnitus couldn’t get much worse than it already is and has been unbearably loud for years then it’d be beneficial to enjoy every aspect of life a healthy person can despite it be damaging to your ears.

I understand you should always have hope but if you are to the point where you have been homebound for several years because of your Tinnitus and can’t listen to everyday sounds, even 70 decibels, you aren’t living regardless.

You might as well just go to the movies or interact with other people at the bar and experience the lovely world around us.

Get back to a social life and maybe deal with the 10/10 Tinnitus instead of the 9/10 or 9.5/10 and enjoy life before it comes to an end.

Just my opinion but has anyone carried through with this or thought about this?

I’ve always wondered about this but never got to asking it.

2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      May be you can give it a try and let us know.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 3
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      EVEN if you have beyond intrusive tinnitus (like I do), it can GET worst if you further damage your ears. Living with tinnitus can be a nightmare. Living with INTRUSIVE tinnitus can be demon level HELL . Such a thread gets me emotional, but I will not type more.....

PS-I have 4 tones all day long, don't need more....

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Brett_angel

Brett_angel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      That isn't good sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Tinnitus can always get worse, how do we know what is the maximum loudness?

Protect your ears folks...

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have severe tinnitus but I don't hold back from enjoying my life. As to be expected, sometimes a sudden noise occurs and your tinnitus reacts accordingly to an even worse degree. That's when I realize the difference between these numbers - even slighty.
      Plus some of us with severe tinnitus do get breaks periodically (a good day) and I would hate to lose them. They're my only grace.
      Mike

• Like Like x 2
    7. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I’m somewhat at this point and in the last few weeks I’ve done more things that have spiked my tinnitus but shouldn’t permanently worsen it (quietly talking to people, having breakfast with my family, going for walks). I’m still dealing with hyperacusis, so my tinnitus might become more stable in the future.

But I would never just jump right back into living normally. It’s not worth it, tinnitus can always get worse, there’s no limit to it. I’ve developed 5-7 new tones throughout the years.

I think I partly understand where you’re coming from and I wouldn’t completely disagree with your idea but your idea implies that the tinnitus would at least be stable at 10/10 but there’s no guarantee for that.

Depending on how severe it is, it can be a fine line between still doing things you want to do and not risking making your tinnitus permanently worse. Obviously, this is not the case for every tinnitus sufferer but some people’s tinnitus just seems to spike more easily than others.

Edit: The question becomes if the ‘reward’ of having a normal life would outway worse tinnitus but loudness and intrusiveness simply matter. Everyone can only endure so much and progressively worsening tinnitus is hard to bear. People have to work, want to be able to relax or to focus on their hobbies - who knows if they could still do that if their tinnitus got worse (I’d say it would be more difficult for many). So you might lose the fear of making tinnitus worse and be able to go outside again, but if it actually was to get worse, you could lose the last bit of your peace of mind (if you had any left) by doing this.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      are you a f*cking idiot?

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Horrible idea...there is no limit to how bad tinnitus can get.
      Also, at that level it is hard to enjoy anything anyway, since you can't relax or focus.
      There is nothing to be gained by doing that.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Jemina
      Caffeine

Jemina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity and probably cumulative noise exposure
      The worst idea ever. Tinnitus can get even louder. Even if you have the loudest most horrendous T ever, there can be worse.. like, if you have several different sounds at the same time...

For example, if you had 6 unbearable sounds to begin with, you might end up having 5 more....

Just imagine having 10 different sounds in your head, no way to escape that. Or damaging your ears so bad you'd lose all your hearing, and the only thing you'll ever hear for the rest of your life is your tinnitus...

• Agree Agree x 7
    11. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Lol no

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Wow....absolutely not. Be wise and be kind to your ears. The aim is to make them better not worst. Duh!:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I suppose that many people with severe tinnitus have enough to do with getting enough sleep.

14. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      TROLL

• Agree Agree x 4
    15. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Yep, that name with that kind of post... Pretty much troll satisfying his morbid curiosity over those suffering with a debilitating problem

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    16. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I’m 23 so I’m relatively young. But by going off of the wording of this post you sound very young....probably in high school?

I thought the same thing until I made it 1000000X worse by following the very very very ill informed advise on here of “just be reasonable and live your life”.
      TERRIBLE IDEA. IT WILL get worse. I had T that wasn’t even that bad until all of a sudden hell erupted. I should have been wearing ear plugs in the city because of all the sirens. I should have been wearing them on the train. Mainly due to all of the unexpected high frequency beeps. If you live in the suburbs MAYBE you can get away with more.

Please don’t “assume” it can’t get worse. Listen to your body.

Should you go and live a hermit life? No. I don’t know your life or your tinnitus. But there’s a reason why people like me give up their whole lives in hopes of not tarnishing it further.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 3
    17. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Folks if you are able to keep your tinnitus mild/non-intrusive by protecting your ears, then please do. Making your ears/ringing worst can be very hard to handle. Especially for newcomers, that have not had tinnitus for a long time. I have had tinnitus since I was a teen and it has taken many years and decades of trying, accepting and at times weeping to face this monster and getting my life in control. Intrusive tinnitus is horrible and having close to profound hearing loss is even more horrible.

I have gained 2-3 new tones in the past 5-10 years and it took time to accept it and it's not easy to do this. By all means protect your ears. Try to keep your stress at bay and be good to yourself....

PS-If i had access to such a forum when I first got tinnitus, it would have never became the horror it is today.....

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Please tell that to stupid ENT and Audiologists as well who preform tests on patients thus making their T worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Agree. Not okay. Some of us are dying here. I think the original post, while initially a valid question is also disrespectful at the same time, although I don't assume it was intended to be.
      Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for all your replies. Sorry if I offended anybody it wasn’t my intention and I know that many of you are suffering greatly because of this horrible condition. I was just curious as I can’t quite comprehend what it’s like having tinnitus so severe. I thought there would be some sort of cap on how loud it can get but it is clear it can get endlessly loud and have different tones. I just couldn’t understand how someone can change their life so much because of this but it is starting to make more sense now. Good luck everyone with their journey!

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      When I read your original post, I thought you were referring to yourself and that you were actually planning on doing what you suggested. But you weren't because you don't have severe tinnitus. You apologized but should think twice before suggesting something that others should do.

22. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      To be fair he sounds like literally every single person I have EVER spoken to about tinnitus who did not have it. Including 3 friends who do have T (but just not severe).

People see what they want to see. And when they "see" someone healthy----it just doesn't compute---so they wrongly think it's an exaggeration.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Have a look at Gaby Olthuis' story or read Jenny's story or look up Tom Maholchic’s story if you want to know what severe hyperacusis can be like. Many people, whether they have tinnitus or not, don’t understand how tinnitus could possibly be debilitating but as you are already a member of this forum you should have known better. Just have a look at all the threads of people saying their tinnitus has spiked.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      You're either a moron or a troll.

25. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Tinnitus is a trust monster. Just when you think you might be able to ignore it and do as you please, it will quickly remind you who's boss and will always push back and put you back in your place if you're not careful. Don't 'F' with tinnitus. Ever. Like neverrrrrr.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
    26. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      How do all those djs and musicians that don’t use hearing protection keep going, whilst no doubt going progressively deaf with roaring T?

27. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      "and just let go."

Literally every single person I know telling me this ever since i got T....and now it's here on a Tinnitus forum...gee if people could just "live with it", these forums wouldn't exist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Another bucket full of ‘tripe’ from yet another ‘quasi hobbycraft tinnitian,’ confidently espousing his homespun psychological gems of wisdom, while we suffer interminably, between life and death.

Highly Offensive Shite...!!!

(This is no good - it’s high time I learnt to say what I truly mean !!)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Relax people, I really think he did not want to offend you. I understand why he thinks of a "nothing to lose situation". I know it is not the reality, because there is indeed always something to lose, but I assume it is very hard to put oneself in the skin of a severe sufferer.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The problem was assuming it couldn’t get significantly worse. Of course I know that’s not true now but if it really was a nothing to lose kind of situation it would be a very reasonable thing to consider if you had severe tinnitus in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1