Peripheral or Central Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bekker, Jul 5, 2017.

1. bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      I have hyperacusis in both ears.

The hyperacusis in my right ear is only much more sensitive. I feel it much more.

The strange thing is that when my doctor checked my hearing with a metal device it hurt in my left ear and not in my right.

Now is my question do I have central or peripheral hyperacusis?

Internet says that central hyperacusis is caused in the brain (auditoral system) and peripheral hyperacusis is caused by damaged nerves and is mostly in one ear.

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I have never heard of this! I have hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis in my right ear. My right ear rings louder to pretty much everything from my own voice to papers shuffling.

Would you mind posting links about the two types? Just did a search and I'm not seeing much.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
    4. addot

addot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I recently came across and interview with hyperacusis researcher Dr. Paul Fuchs that relates to this:
      (taken from this interview, I encourage everyone to check it out!)

These are his words, though. Bottom line is, its hard to tell for sure if you (or anyone for that matter) has only peripheral or only central H because there just isn't a definitive model of H yet. What we do know it that often peripheral changes result in central changes.

This is how it would work: like me, it seems your H was caused by noise exposure, which causes damage to the inner ear. Exactly what is damaged is difficult to pinpoint: it could be your hair cells; it could be the nerve fibers under them, etc. In any case, this damage results in less input being sent to the brain. The brain tries to compensate for it, and cranks up his internal gain circuit. So there is both peripheral and central issues happening.

If you'd like to read more about this, i'd recommend checking out the Inner Ear and Central Auditory System links of Hyperacusis Focus

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      Im curieus TRT would help nerve hyperacusis? I am at a point to do TRT But i have my doubt if it works. Though i think i should do it because nothing else works