Perpetual or Bad Treatment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by NineNails, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Does tinnitus take years to heal for most patients?

1. No way! That's wishful thinking.

2. Maybe.

3. Definitely! Most recover or get much better.

Results are only viewable after voting.
tinnitus forum
    1. NineNails

NineNails Member

What if T is not perpetual?

What if it takes years to heal for most patients? And in order for the injury to heal it needs rest. And a helluva of a lot of rest. Peace for the auditory nerves.

For instance, if you've a torn muscle and/or tendon do you rest or do you move about like crazy? And yes, there may be a constant phantom pain involved in the healing process.

Perhaps all the rigor avoidance of silence, where most patient seem to perceive their T the most, makes the healing process much much worse if not impossible. Thus T becomes inevitably permanent after years of masking and sound therapy.
      Don't get me wrong here, this approach, like any approach, takes months if not years and can be very painful in the beginning! However, it may payoff in the long run.

How can I tell? In my case, I've extreme reactive T, multiple noises hence masking, sound therapy do not work. They only did make things much worse! So I was forced to go with this approach -- and I recognized the more silence and REM sleep I get, the *calmer my T becomes.

*which doesn't mean silence! But on a level I can handle much better.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Well, you don't fix a broken leg with more walking do you. Walking on it does have a place in the recovery and rehab stage, but not in the early days. I recall reading of at least one case of someone who earplugged themselves into as much silence as possible for a year or more...and got better, supposedly.

This is a question I've wondered about for some time.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have wondered this, but I have also wondered the opposite. Somehow I doubt it's the case most of the time; once the damage is done it's done. Lets say your nerves are damaged but not dead, then maybe it could get better with time and protection.

I have been protecting my hearing a lot, probably more than necessary, but sometimes I wonder if that makes things worse too. I don't know about you, but when I put earplugs in my T screams. When you are paying attention to it, especially early on, I can see your brain forming more pathways and internalizing the noise more.

It's like your damned if you do and damned if you don't. This condition sucks.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      That's a very good point the op makes. I've seen posted here another person who had some nerve injury issue not hearing related - and he wrote it took 9 months to heal . I could not find the post again but makes us think . I believe nerves can heal but it takes very very long time and some help like LLLT and supplements and of course - very dedicated ear protection during all this time .
      Yes your t will be more apparent to the brain during this time but this is only temporary while nerves heals there is no other ways around it - more masking and more sound to drown the t willing prevent the nerves from healing and puts you back to square one each time

• Like Like x 1
    5. NineNails

NineNails Member

I think balance is paramount here. Seek calm silent places for sleep and recuperation. Protect your ears against loud noises, if possible avoid those loud venues entirely. However, do not overprotect like wearing earplugs and/or muffs all the time, which i think very likely worsen hyperacusis.

Oh yes, if I put earplugs in my T seems much much louder! Though, not always. Sometimes, when it's calmer, it stays on that level for some time.
      You see, I avoid loud venues but when I blow dry my hair I wear earplugs for like five minutes. I don't know how much noise a hairdryer can make but it's way too loud and annoying for me. It always has been, even prior to T.

I couldn't agree more.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wearing ear protection all day isn't going to permanently worsen H
      ear protection is only reducing sound not cutting it all out unless you live in a desert AND plug your ears
      sleeping in a 10-20db quiet bedroom isn't going to worsen H either and its 8 hours each day.
      City noises is anything between 50 to 80db with ear muffs/plugs thats 20 to 50db plenty enough sound still.

That is if you have noise damage - pure acoustic trauma causes no stress/anxiety/unknown T.

Hair dryers are noisy - yes I wear plugs too , shower booth as well . Sucks but making it worse sucks even more and right now it is getting better every month so I know its the right path

• Like Like x 1
    7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I have wondered about this myself. I believe it is what Dr Wilden also states.
      At the moment I do the neuromodulator Therapy. I am starting to get the idea that this is aggravating my hyperacusis.
      I don't want to skip a session at this moment to test this hypothesis because I only started the therapy three month ago.

But instinctively after my NIHL I wanted to protect my ears from any sound. Instinct is powerful because it is ingrained in us through evolution. I still protect my ear (perhaps too much?) from every day noises that are slightly louder.

I also wondered if there are examples of unexplained NIHL (tinnitus and hyperacusis too) healing cases.
      Up to now I did not read about miracle healing on the internet. Are there examples on the internet?

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yeah good question. My T, H and especially the constant ear pain seem to get slightly better as I rest and stay out of noise. Actually,I would go as far as saying that my ear pain improves by easily 50 percent after some silence. I always wonder if the pain after noise exposure is just more damage building up making it harder and harder to heal and eventually impossible as these traumatic events keep occurring almost daily. I can watch TV on regular volume for a couple of hours and feel like I just had my ears raped.

9. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Both my doctors say over protecting makes H worse or create H. They STRONGLY recommend against it. They say to only protect your ears if you would be in a situation that any normal person could get hearing damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      This advise gave me H. There's no proof behind any of that advise as far as I know.

11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Over protecting makes H more obvious, but I don't believe its a mechanism for causing it. I also don't believe Doctors know jack about his, and that very few even want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This makes sense because you don't have noise damage to begin with.

This advice is not intended for the ones with previous extensive noise damage where the "normal person" guidelines won't really work.

Your doctors probably made the prognostic that you have sound phobia and your issues are just anxiety around loud sound not a true inner ear damage which would show up on audiograms.

Again, you cannot "make permanent H" or are you supposed to play 50db music in your bedroom all night long to avoid the permanent damaging effect of silence ?

The vast majority of the human population spends 1/3 of their life in very quiet bedrooms...or living rooms etc..H should be the biggest human problem if we were able to "make" permanent H due to too much silence.

H should be a known issue affecting people wearing ear protection in their work or living in quiet surroundings, in deserts or remote country side..

What do doctors say about that ?

• Agree Agree x 1