Personality Changed After Tinnitus and Hearing Loss — Depressed, Isolated, Grieving

Discussion in 'Support' started by newarrior, Nov 14, 2018.

1. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      22 years ago... I was more of a wild and crazy social party guy--tinnitus and hearing loss have severely restricted my social, personal and hobby related life and made me more depressed, withdrawn and in a constant state of grief over my deteriorating hearing and increasing tinnitus.... It's restricted my ability to meet new people and connect with existing ones.

Anyone can relate?

Dave

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Hug Hug x 6
    2. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Yep. You couldn't get me to sit at home on the weekends. Now it's all I do!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel the same way :( I want my old life back! I have isolated from the social life I used to have, now I spend my time with my family, the only support I need right now.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Sad to hear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Same here and I am 28. I got T when I was 27 and felt like life ended for me. This is mere survival now.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Dave, loads of hugs to you :huganimation:Your hearing loss along with the tinnitus must be very tough. I’ve had tinnitus for 16 years, I was only 28 when I started on this journey. It’s been up and down emotionally for me ever since.

Did your hearing loss happen same time as your tinnitus started or more gradual?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yep. More bitter, not bubbly anymore, super clingy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I went to a wedding and realized I will never go to another one again. No more parties ever unless I host them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    9. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yep, complete life overhaul for this shit. Sad, frustrated and angry that this happened to my life... x

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
    10. Michael Barton

Michael Barton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 hours at a house concert
      Hi,

To everyone here, as my GF keeps saying, 'you aren't dying', so time to do some of those mental gymnastics humans are so good at (think Eric Cartman, it's never his fault :) ).

No but seriously, this royally sucks, and there's no need for it. I hope that jumping on the meditation bandwagon will grant me the inner peace I seek; anybody have any success in that?

I find that learning that it'll always be there (that I can't escape it), is most realistic, and in that, it's the best way to cope. If you can get a good night's rest, and then habituate to get rest, you are golden, we all hope we'll get there one day, and until then, know you are not alone, and hang on.

Good luck to all.

Kind regards,

Michael Barton

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I like my life of solitude. Now.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Was 18 when this started, three years later and it's already worse. Never been to a concert in my life, and was not into clubbing nor did I wear headphones regularly. One less than 10minute exposure at a club followed by a house party/gathering three years later was what did it for me.

Now its moderate (hear it everywhere) tinnitus, visual snow, floaters, headaches, jaw pain and depression. Light bothers me, sound bothers me. Needless to say, I don't leave the house too often anymore. I used to enjoy going for walks, to the park and reading. Now its enough for me to see the visual snow on a white sheet of paper and my mood instantly tanks.

I hope for some kind of help or treatment to come around. I am not managing to habituate, despite being in this situation for close to two years (when my increase happened). This is not how I was hoping to start my 20s.

I don't see a future anymore. Went from being a high performer academically and participating in extracurriculars to trying to survive day to day. It's hard to find joy when I can't see or hear properly.

As far as personality goes, I am but a shadow of my past. I don't even manage to do half of what I used to do. I feel different, worse. If tinnitus and visual snow went away I'd be extremely happy, but I still think I'd be a changed person.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Yes now I am 56 and one hot mess! Though I moved to Asia at age 54, graduated from college at age 41 and 53, became an actor in Hollywood in my 40s etc etc.

• Like Like x 3
    14. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      How are you doing these days Dave?

15. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      CDNThailand, thanks for bumping this Thread. Was interesting to read these posts.
      Can't imagine not being able to enjoy these things. I do this every. single. day. Parks and reading at night.