Plane — Left Ear Started Screeching During Descend

Discussion in 'Support' started by Xenia, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Xenia

Xenia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible teeth grinding but not sure
      Hi

I have not posted for a few months and the past few months my tinnitus has been quiet mild compared to when I first got it, but I have just been on a plane ( first time since getting tinnitus) and my left ear is screeching like mad. It started when the plane start to descend. The last 20 minutes of the flight. I got this pressure feeling in my left ear and the noise is now unbearable screeching. No longer pressure feeling but really high pitch noise. I can hear it above everything and its really ruining my holiday. Is this common after going on planes for the tinnitus to be exacerbated so much? Something related to air pressure?

I would be grateful for any responses, advice etc.

Thanks so much

Cheers
      Xenia

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Mine always spiked after flights. It improved after three weeks, or a month but it never went down to the level it was before the flight (close though). I stopped flying after six flights with the same outcome. But that's just my experience.

3. nj78

nj78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Asymmetric hearing loss
      Oh man, I hope this is not common. Did you take any decongestants like Sudafed before the flight?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Xenia

Xenia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Elinor

Thanks for your response. I am sorry you went through it too. Its not pleasant.

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014

hi xenia, I have been a numerous flights since my tinnitus started. The changes in air pressure cause the ear to feel full, which will cause the tinnitus to sound louder for some time. In some instances it has taken me several weeks for the ear pressure to release even when I thought it was normalized. So be patient in sure it will go back to how it was.

also if your worried they make ear plugs for just that, earplugs that will regulate the pressure changes during a decent or an ascension. I don't recall the exact name of the product but a quick Google search will point you in the right direction.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      What you experienced is the same as what I did. Your eustachian tube didn't equalise which put pressure on your ear drum. This leads to dulled hearing and can also give you ear pain. The dulled hearing makes tinnitus more prominent; I know because mine went crazy. It's not actually the tinnitus going up though but more your hearing that is going down. The less you can hear the more you will hear your tinnitus.

The cause was most likely mucous settling into your eustachian tube/s causing a blockage. When flying, it's important to use decongestants or steam inhalation prior to flying if your sinuses are bunged up.

The pressure changes that your ears go through on the descent is the main concern I have with flying. But even so, I still haven't suffered any permanent damage. I will just be more vigilant in future.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Xenia

Xenia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ed209 @cullenbohannon

Thank you to both of you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

The noise has decreased now thankfully but the descent really made it play up. I had to catch another plane to get back home and on this second trip I had a lot of ear pain and definitely hearing was dulled for quite some time after landing but thankfully the tinnitus noise was not as bad as that first flight I took which caused screeching tinnitus for days.

Thanks again for your tips

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @Xenia, I got fluid in my left ear from a flight in 2008. I haven't flew since. I hope your noise stays low. Yeah, Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) before descending helps and maybe chewing gum. Valsalva or EarPopper could help too.

• Like Like x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      definitely take pseudoephedrine before your next flight -- and not the crappy knockoff OTC stuff they've replaced it with (phenylepherine), it's crap. You want pseudoephedrine, 30-60 mg. It is behind the counter at the pharmacy and you'll have to show ID to get it because idiot white trash use it to manufacture methamphetamine.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I always thought a large dose of guaifenesin (with lots of water) would be good. My reasoning is guaifenesin thins out the mucus which would make it easier to equalize when there is a change in pressure.

I have flown many times in the past year, but I always get a little nervous during takeoff and landing. I open my jaw and wiggle it until we reach altitude every time. Then I put on earmuffs.

11. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I don't know why but that comment just made me burst out laughing so thanks for that,I needed it.

• Like Like x 1
    12. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Do you wear earplugs? I always wear airplugs and haven't had problems until now. However, I'm taking my first flight since my huge spike from antibiotics so hope all goes well. Glad your spike went back down to baseline. If you don't wear plugs when you fly I would definitely start!

• Agree Agree x 1