Please Help! Early Stages of Tinnitus? 21 y/o

Discussion in 'Support' started by Motorbambino, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Motorbambino
      Depressed

Motorbambino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Hi, I went to my usual nightclub Friday night (it's Tuesday lunchtime now) and the music was louder than it has ever been in there - and I'm a regular(who enjoys loud music, but this was beyond a joke). I am 21 years old and this ringing in my ears is really starting to worry me. I'm finding it difficult to sleep at night, and I'm getting headaches when I can't shift my attention off the ringing. I am really trying to hold onto the hope of this not being permanent, but my faith in it getting better is fading fast. It is now Tuesday lunchtime and I don't think it's subsided at all. Is it usual for ringing to continue this long and then not end up being permanent? Many thanks, Motorbambino

2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Did you visit an ent ? If it's recent you could take cortisteroids pills usually effective 48 hours of onset but you can still try good luck @Motorbambino

3. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      In my experience the ringing went down substantially after about two weeks. But I redamaged my ears after that and had a big spike, who knows it may have went away if I had not done that. It has gone down some since but not to where it was before. My best advice, give yourself some time to heal by not going anywhere where there is loud noise for awhile. As mentioned above you can get some prednisone (oral steroid) and give that a try. Personally they didn't do much for me after my spike but it may be worth a try.
      Good Luck and hope you feel better!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Motorbambino
      Depressed

Motorbambino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015

Thank you for such speedy responses! I have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning for something else, but I shall definitely bring this up and ask about steroid pills. I'm just really hoping this isn't permanent - it's driving me nuts! It's okay when I'm distracted but as soon as I think about it again it feels louder than ever - like a constant kettle going of in my head. The prospect of this being a life long issue is getting me down, and although I know it's only been 4 days, it's the longest I've ever had ringing in my ears without it getting better in the slightest. It is not excruciatingly loud, but it is definitely prominent. I'm just hoping and praying it goes away soon, and then next time I shall have a set of earplugs on hand! I care about my hearing and my health.

5. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      If you are sure it's due to loud music did it happen after sleeping in the night did u have some infections did u take some substances, get your audiogram checked. May be cortisouds will help tray that and Nac magnesium in high doses and also LAC in the night take rivotril u can also try l carnosine. If infection has caused it get this cleared

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Motorbambino
      Depressed

Motorbambino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Hi thanks you for your response. The damage to my ears is definitely due to the high volume of music on Friday night. I had a few alcoholic drinks, but nothing excessive and I felt sober the entire night which is usual as I tolerate alcohol incredibly well. I noticed the ringing when I left the club that evening and it was still present the next morning. I doubt it is an infection, but thank you for your help. I am going to the doctors tomorrow to see if anything can be tried.

7. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      @Motorbambino I know exactly how you feel. Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I'm only 20 btw and yeah went to a friends small gig that was way to loud and came out with tinnitus. But the good news is it does get better. I'm coping a lot better lately (with the help of a therapist). That said I do take precautions about loud noise now though and wear earplugs to things I normally would be fine with or avoid situations all together. But I think once we get used to this we will be able to have our life back for the most part.
      Cheers.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Motorbambino
      Depressed

Motorbambino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Hi, so I went to the doctors today and she said that she's not worried there are any underlying problem (I knew that anyway) and that it is likely it will go. If it doesn't clear up within a month I need to go back and get "retraining therapy" - but I'm hoping this is a short term thing and it won't come to that.

What I'd really like to know is this: It's my best friends birthday Saturday and she's planned for about 15b of us to go to go clubbing (Watford, London). The plan was to go on a bar crawl as there is a strip of bars and clubs, however after this tinnitus started I pretty much decided not to go unless it had cleared up by then. I have now got a set of earplugs (Alpine Party Plug) which as far as I've tested with my own loud speakers seem to block out a good amount of noise. Do you think it is okay for me to attend Saturday so long as I wear these earplugs? Or do you still think I should give it a miss still?

She will be so disappointed if I don't go and I have been really looking forward to it, but ultimately my hearing is more important.

Many thanks