Please Help with My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Karam, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay to start off im 15 and have had tinnitus for about 5 days now, starting off with my right year then just recently coming to my left in a high pitch tone which is really bothering me. Im feeling stressed and anxious about my T because everywhere ive read, it says its permanent and that itll never go, to make matters worse, im going Tunisia for holiday in 6 days and ive booked a doctor appointment but im afraid it wont help. My T is probably one of these things: excessive headphone usage (music,ps4) or the antibiotics that i use for acne (tetrycal) or it could be my neck problem or other reason, please i need some advice and when does the sound begin to decrease because this is my first week with it?? If youve read up to hear thank you so much, I really really need some advice and tell me your experience with it.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @Karam. Don't panic or despair. You T is so new and you are young. New T may fade over time and young people can adjust or get better faster generally. Stress and anxiety are bad for T. So try your best to stay calm and positive. There are things you can do to get better.

Firstly, you may want to visit this TT thread which gives you some helpful tips when T is new:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

Secondly, since your T is very new and it may be related to acoustic trauma of using the headphone, you may want to get some prednisone steroid treatment asap. So ask your doctor for that asap.

Thirdly, you may want to get some earplugs such as earplane earplugs, or even just foam earplugs, noise cancellation headphones etc. Those are good for taking flight. The earplane will help balance the pressure changes. You may want to bring nasal spray along just in case your nose is plugged which again is bad for air pressure changes.

Travel is actually good for T if you take the precaution to protect. This is because if you are in the holiday mood, you are feeling more relax and you have many distractions for the brain to avoid focussing on the tinnitus sound. Many people report that they don't hear the T or that T is much reduced during the vacation. This is Aaron's success story post that tells you that getting T doesn't mean you can't travel to enjoy the world. I have travelled often since getting my high pitch T.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/who-said-our-life-is-all-about-tinnitus-i-share-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

Don't believe the horror stories of the Internet. There are many people whose T either disappear or that they habituate to their T and they don't hear it most of the time. Try read up the success stories as many as possible to give you hope and comfort that you will get better in due time. Here are typical success stories of young people if you like to check them out:

success story of 17 years old Zach:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fake-it-until-you-make-it.7590/

success story of Jari with T since 12 years old:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new.7670/

lana got T at 15 and getting better:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/positivity.13050/

If your T is getting too loud and irritating at this initial stage, you can try mask it. If you haven't done so yet, here are some suggestions. Just keep the volume down while masking so it won't hurt your ears. Enjoy your trip. Take good care & God bless.

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so so much for your time and information, you helped me calm down alot, very helpful thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Eliot333
      Tired

Eliot333 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music? Antibiotics? Infection? idk
      Dude. I just got T around the same time u did. And it was one month after a concert so I dont think its just from that. I took some antibiotics for my acne and im not sure what but i asked my mom if its oxotoxic (i already worried about my ears before i got T) and she told me it wasn't. However I now have a really low ring and prob think its from that. Wishing u luck, my T doesn't affect my life but it does make me want to find out what caused it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Whatsup people im at my 3 month mark and this is not a success but there are good news.

So im 15 years old and when i first got tinnitus it was highpitched and i could hear it over most stuff like tv and convo but reaching my 6 week mark it reduced a lot and my hyperacusis went away, a week after that happened i caught a virus which made me back to square 1 so i got over that spike and it returned to baseline, and ive mostly habituated to this first tinnitus, It doesn't make me anxious like it did in the beginning however here comes the bad news, ive recently got a new tone which i posted about before bit im not sure if its the same one or it changed but its bothering me so so much, its like when some one blows on top of a bottle or hitting an empty bottle and its not constant ive been hearing this for like 4 days so all im gonna do is wait it out and watch my diet, ill keep updated if it goes.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @Karam, when T is new, it has a tendency to morph into different symptoms. Don't be afraid of this. It can have new tones, jump ears, have fullness, multi-tones, etc. The ears need sometime to settle down after T. So be mentally ready for this trick from the T bully. It will spins new things to scare you. Don't take the bait. Do your best to stay calm, sleep well, and get busy with life. Young people like you can get your friends together and have some fun. Don't let the brain focus on T. That is my advice. Get some masking going on too so you won't be too anxious about the new tones. What kind of masking you are doing now?

Even with multi-tones, people learn to live with it in peace. The success stories are filled with people with multi-tones. Your situation should improve over time as you are young. Don't worry much to add weight to T's tyranny over you. Take care. God bless.

Here is a famous person with 2-tone T, David Letterman, and he was talking with William Shatner, the original Star Trek Captain who has T too. Life goes on with them after the initial struggle. Watch it to see if you can lighten up a bit:

David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karam

Karam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @billie48 thank you for your support interesting i didn't know about the t 'morphing'