Please Tell Me Using an Ear Curette Is Safe

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My right ear is feeling so blocked right now. It really feels so filled up. My ear wax has built up to that point. Obviously I can't use a cotton bud, because that would just push in the wax back deeper into my ear. Can someone please tell me if using an ear curette is safer? My brother has one made of metal, and I can ask him to help me do it. Going to the doctor is too expensive, and here in Singapore the government subsidised clinics only offer earwax cleaning services on Saturdays.

2. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Oh no ... PLEASE DON'T!!!!!!!!! Please wait till Saturday!!!! It is NOT safe to do this at home!

Instead, you could try to use a little hydrogen peroxide (sold at drugstores). Just place a towel on a table, lay your head sideways on the towel, and pour a few drops from the bottle cap into your ear and let it bubble and sizzle for a couple of minutes. Then, flip your head over, let it drain out, and use a tissue to sop up excess moisture. This can help to soften wax and let it drain out more naturally.

You SERIOUSLY RISK hurting yourself with a metal device or by sticking ANYTHING into your ear!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I would probably choose a curette to clean my ears of wax out of all the options (nowadays I apply "Ceridal Lipolotion*", a local product, to my ears about twice a week as preventative measure, and I no longer suffer from excess ear wax accumulation), but...

...ONLY in the hands of a professional medical doctor, who have done the procedure tons of times.

I would never ever allow a friend or someone without experience do it.

(* it contains: Paraffinum liquidum, cyclopentasiloxane, simmondsia chinensis seed oil)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Path Maker
      Thank you for your caution. I almost did it myself, thank God I stopped myself. I do have an ear drop I bought a while ago. It's brand name is Tropex, and it contains Methyl Hydroxybenzoate (not sure what it is) and Glycerol. Do you think it can also be used for softening the wax? I've never used it because I'm afraid there might be side effects.

5. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Hariz Nonis I don't know what those substances are that you mention (in the Tropex). So I can't answer that.

I have used the hydrogen peroxide method on and off since childhood, sucessfully.

I have also seen @glynis recommend using a few drops of olive oil to soften ear wax. Maybe she can give some advice here?

In any case, please be SUPER SAFE and even if that means toughing it out till Saturday, you will be much better off!! :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Markku thanks for your advice. Do you know whether the Tropex ear drop is any good to use? It contains Methyl Hydroxybenzoate and Glycerol. I guess if I can't use it, I'll just have to wait until Saturday.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Path Maker I went to the clinic this morning. They gave me a bottle of ear wax to apply for two weeks before I get my ears syringed. I know it's different from the drops you use, but are there any side effects to your hearing when you apply the ear drops? My wax affected ear is also the one with T, so I kinda need some assurance.

8. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Hariz Nonis I haven't had any bad effects from the occasional cleaning with the hydrogen peroxide. I am SUPER CAREFUL when I dry them afterwards. I will use only tissues and I don't insert cotton swabs (q-tips). If you are careful, I'm thinking you'll be okay. :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you let the it drain out on its own? My ear feels a little blocked after applying the olive oil. Now I don't know if I should try to use a tissue to get it in contact with my ear canal.

10. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Not sure, @Hariz Nonis . Maybe the clinic folks can tell you? When I use a tissue, I don't insert it into the ear canal. Just near the surface of the ear.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      That's normal. I get that feeling too after applying my ear maintenance lotion but it clears up soon.

How are your ears feeling now?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My ears feel slightly better, it also feels a lot less blocked now. Not too sure if every single bit of the ear drops have drained out, but at least my T has gotten less annoying. Maybe the olive oil really did something :)