Plugging Your Ears with Fingers — What Happens to Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dmitriy, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      What happens to your tinnitus when you tightly plug your ears with fingers for a few seconds?

With fingers in my ears I cannot hear the static or the mild ringing I have.

When I remove the fingers the tinnitus doesn't come back right away, usually takes 10-20 seconds.

How does it work you?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Until recently I plugged my ears by pushing my tragus over my ear canal. There were a couple of instances where I held this longer than I should and the most recent time brought me from unilateral T to bilateral T and changed the center and severity of it.

Strongly do not recommend.

3. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      sounds like you have reactive tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Right now I have the TV on in the background, and I can barely hear my tinnitus. If I plug my ears with my index fingers I immediately start noticing the tinnitus. So going from a noisy room to a silent room makes the tinnitus more noticeable. In other words, having my ears plugged is the same as being in a silent room. What's interesting though is that after taking a shower and then sitting down in a silent room, I do not notice any tinnitus, not even when I listen for it. Then it starts to slowly creep up on me.

So that's my tinnitus, on a good day. On bad days, it is much more noticeable. On those days I can perceive it over the TV, and what really has me puzzled is why I seem to perceive it much more when I drive the car or get stuck in a traffic jam.

I do get spikes from time to time, and that's the worst thing there is. Not only is it unbearable to listen to, it makes me jumpy and look like an idiot when I am among other people because I will move my head in a jerky motion, opposite to where the sound is perceived as coming from, as if to avoid it. This I believe is the result of the acoustic trauma. I have had fleeting tinnitus when I was a teenager but I cannot recall reacting to it like this. More than one part of my nervous system was affected by the acoustic trauma.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I put in earplugs in a relatively quiet (~65db and under) environment my tinnitus absolutely screams. If I don't put them in for anything much louder for a sustained period of time it makes my tinnitus spike.

:banghead:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      So let me get this straight. You are in a quite room, and your T gets louder IF you plug in your ears? And if you are in regular noise environment or worse, you get an spike unless you have plugs in your ears?

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No, my T is loud all the time, but when it's quiet (i.e. ears plugged) it gets much louder and fills my head, same thing would happen in an anechoic chamber. It also reacts to loud noise and I just recently developed a new tone from moderately loud noise exposure while I had earplugs in.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does it actually get louder, or are you more aware of it because nothing is masking it?

9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Tinnitus volume is relative. I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Mine actually gets louder following earplug use, unless it is brief. With spikes that can last for days

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      What kind of noise exposure was this that affected you even with earplugs?

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Loud noise at work. :(

13. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      I don't even notice my multiple toned T when plugging my fingers. I really don't know why. Maybe it has something to do with TTTS or MEM? My ear is also beeping.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Mine goes louder when I plug it and put pressure on it, returning to baseline when fingers come off

15. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Definitely T is louder when I plug ears. Since I have 3 different "tones" - when t is screeching so unbelievably loud that I can't tell which ear is culprit, I use fingers to plug & then know which. I keep diary on calendar. Week before last I had the calmest & most number of days of this calm in 3½ years. So looking @ calendar gives me hope the calm will return for a longer period next time. Oh I also thank God out loud for curing my ears - it's helpful to "Speaking those things that are not as though they were". Of course there are days...

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Blocking my ears with my fingers turns my already loud tinnitus into something indescribably loud. I can not bear to wear earplugs for more than 5 minutes because of this.
      As tinnitus is an internal noise, I struggle to understand how this is not the case for everyone when blocking the ears, unless it is a very mild case of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic Trauma in childhood with onset after 26 years
      Mine becomes quieter (I have to wait a bit)

18. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      I gotta say, I'm pretty dumbfounded by the people who say their T gets quieter when they plug their ears. I thought the whole notion was that T is an inner noise so how can you block it out by plugging your ears?

When I plug my ears I hear the typical low tympani rumble in both ears, and in my T ear(right) I notice the T more. Similar to when you are in a quieter environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I feel the exact same. I can’t fathom how plugging ones ears would make the T quieter. Mine consumes my entire skull when I plug ‘em.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Why? it is higly un-raccommended to focus on T severity please read back to silence thread in success stories

21. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Mine does this because it's reactive. It gets almost silent when I have earplugs in, laying down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      At least you can sleep in peace

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      True but when I'm standing in a moderate-loud room it is very loud.

24. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I suggest you and for the other that have reactive T to make evoked otoacustic emission test, please read wikipedia, by a good ENT doctor.
      Lol Lele

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What would this test indicate differently for someone with reactive T?

My T is very reactive and I have had an acoustic emission test. Oddly enough, it showed hearing loss at a frequency that passes on my standard hearing test. The frequency (4K) was right before my lost frequencies. The audiologist and I discussed whether recruitment was involved or if perhaps I merely think I am hearing the tone during the test.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      Either it blocks out surrounding clutter and I focus on the T or it makes it worse... logic would suggest that it's the former. I suspect my brain in the absence of clutter focuses on the most noticeable thing.

Today I drove 300 miles in the rain, and it was incredibly soothing. I did some vocal exercises to loosen up my jaw and give my ears something constructive to do (namely, criticize my singing). I tried blocking the ear-canal, and yep, there was old T, doing its thing.

I'm investing in a tin roof that I can carry everywhere and a portable rainmaker to rain on it.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ leledany. Keeping track of my rotation pattern & intensity helps me cope. Everyone is different.

28. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Mine gets seriously loud when I get a cold like now