Poll: After Getting Tinnitus, Do You Still Use Headphones/Headsets?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vaseto99, Aug 29, 2018.

?

After Getting Tinnitus, Do You Still Use Headphones/Headsets?

1. I still use headphones/headsets

2. I stopped using headphones/headsets

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      I'm interested to know if people still use headphones/headsets after getting tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I've been curious as well. Mine was not noise induced and I did give them up for about 4 months when my T got worse. Didn't help it.

I do however practice safe headphone use. I've never been one to wear them around and out. So I just watch it at night for TV/internet use. It never goes above a certain volume/decimal range.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus wasn’t noise induced, I really don’t know what caused it, but I don’t use headphones/headsets. I’m not so careful I can’t enjoy life but it does make me more aware what loud noises can do without you knowing what it’s doing to your ears.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I still use them with caution WRT volume, as recommended by all my doctors.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I stopped using them. I used to use them hours a day, for years, to listen to podcasts and maybe music when I was younger. But never ever at a high volume. I don't know whether they can be a factor in tinnitus if you don't listen to them at a high volume. I stopped using them just in case

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      expired earwax drops, stress, or past exposure from earbuds.
      I still use them; without music I'd be too miserable. And my T is not affected by headphones anyway, it decreases and increases as it wishes to.
      My volume never exceeds 50% ( if it ever goes up that high even ) and I take 30 minute breaks between each hour. Also I no longer listen to music in noisy environments, I wait until I'll reached somewhere somewhat silent.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      My doctors have told me that 60% volume is safe, but this seems so subjective. One pair of headphones at 60% volume can be significantly louder than another at 60%. I am currently abstaining to let ears heal a bit more, but I think that LOW VOLUME (20-30%) range would be okay.

If you can't hear your music at a low volume because of the environment your in is too loud, DON'T increase the volume. A lot of people don't realize that when they increase the volume to drown out the noisy environment they are potentially listening to something at dangerous levels.

@vaseto99, I see by your mood that your not doing too well. Hang in there man, it gets better over time. I know that at times it doesn't seem like that, but it does. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Jack

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I still use headphones, albeit rarely. I never use earbuds. I try a common sense approach and just keep the level to what feels like a "sane" volume TO ME. This may not be for everyone, if you have any history with hyperacousis, I would stay away from headphones.

9. Mark5398

Mark5398 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss?
      I used to avoid them but now I use them almost every day for hours.

Curiously, my T got better since I decided not to give a f**k about it and got back to enjoying music a few months ago.

However, I always enhance the frequencies I struggle to hear so the overall volume level is fairly low.
      Also, being the headphones noise cancelling they help me cut out the kind of noise that spikes my T such as car, train or plane.

• Like Like x 1
    10. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I use them everyday! Low volumes of course.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why can't you use speakers?

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      No, I do not anymore. But for a couple of months after getting T I kept using them. I had rather minor T and completely habituated at that point. Also, I could handle loud areas just fine. I walked into an arcade and had a blast.

Then headphones made it worse because of a loud, unexpected sound from them which I had absolutely zero control over. It made my tinnitus permanently worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Mark5398

Mark5398 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss?
      I should have specified: within reason. I still protect my hearing and I use headphones at low level.
      What I meant is that I try not to let my T control my life. Again, as much as possible

14. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      My gf without T once put on headphones next to me...and though the volume was preset it opened with a shriek because her husband recently installed a windows 10 update to her computer. I could hear that feedback from across the room...if you use headphones make sure you test the volume FIRST before you put it on.

Also I would set up ad block so random videos are not playing when you surf the web, those auto-play ads are culprits for being obnoxiously loud...be careful dudes

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      expired earwax drops, stress, or past exposure from earbuds.
      I'm sort of dorming right now, can't have my music bothering my roommate.
      Plus I just prefer headphones for music.

16. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      I have used headphones and earbuds, with reasonable volume limits always, all my life. Now that I have T, I still use them, and it is suggested to do so by many audiologist who recommend sound therapies such as Neuromonics, CR Neurmodulation, Notched Music, etc.

I keep seeing members stating NEVER use either if you have T, but that doesn't make sense to me especially if you have hearing aids that deliver masking or other sound therapies too. How can a hearing aid, which is the closest of all devices to the structures of your ear, be safe, yet earbuds and headphones aren't?

Yes, I understand the importance of volume control, and the issues of surfing or watching TV and having unexpected volume increases with ads, etc. I don't use them for that. Music, sound therapy, watching videos or movies, etc.

Since I've gotten my T, I've not noticed any worsening when I use them. My T is noise induced.

Anyway, interesting thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I still use them while playing online with my friends.

Also, I use them at the subway train to listen to music in a moderate volume. It does not seem to affect my tinnitus.

18. Huradozih
      Insomnious

Huradozih Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idiopathic
      I still use them with the lowest volume possible! For example, while listening to music with iPhone, I set 2 dots out of 17 of the volume

19. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I don't use them anymore altough i don't believe headpohones on very low volume will cause problems. As always volume matters. But of course there is the risk of sudden loud noise because of malfunction.

While gaming i sometimes use my headset with microphone around my neck to talk to people.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      I still haven't had the guts to try them yet. Probably in the near future i'll see how it goes. In the meantime I prefer my ears to heel eventhough mine isn't sound induced.

21. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      Hell no i don't and i will never use them again.Headphones pretty much ruined my entire life i know that is because i used them irresponsible on max volume for two whole years.
      But still if i was using speakers instead of headphones even on the loud volume i guarantee you that i wouldn't have the same problem or atleast not to this extend i know this for a fact because i used speakers when playing XBOX 360 and watched movies loudly and i never had any hearing loss until i started using headphones severe hidden hearing loss sucks it's a fucking nightmare i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
      I just want people to learn from my life never play with your health it's not worth it.If you use headphones use them on the lowest volume possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      NEVER AGAIN

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      No, I don't. I will use headphones again - after scientists discover a way to cure tinnitus 100% forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wonder if headphones will be safe to use if a cure is found. I stopped using headphones for now but might start again in a couple months.

25. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I'll use them on low-mid volumes once in a while but it isn't something I do casually anymore.

I would never ever listen to loud music through headphones nor recommend use them daily in a work environment.

I wouldn't even listen to loud music without headphones.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    26. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Stopped using headphones. Even if I have to use it in the future, such as online training at work, I will keep the volume low or instead use the subtitles if that is an option. Thankfully, my coworker is fine with me playing masking sounds (from my phone) at work.

27. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I use really, really big speakers! 7.1 channels of sound, 185 watt main speakers, THX certified 200 watt amplification per channel, Super Audio CD multichannel music zig-zagging across the soundscape, a 250 watt subwoofer that makes thunderstorms blush. Soon I'll install Dolby Atmos and really crank this baby up. Next time I watch Independence Day, I really will feel like I'm in the middle of a coordinated alien attack.

• Like Like x 1
    28. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So you watch movies using your home theater? How loud would you say it gets before it gets uncomfortable?

29. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I've never measured it. Not stupidly loud, just enough for some good punch, but I know that doesn't mean much in text across the internet. I will say though that a decent set of hi-fi speakers with good amplification will have a softness and sweetness to them that will be kind to your ears at moderate to sort-of-high volume. Forget that harsh tinny screeching you'll get from modern TV speakers that'll wake a dead wookiee.

30. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I rarely used headphones before, and since T, I dont use them at all. Dont miss them at all.