Poll: Does Driving a Car Make Your Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ludwig, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Does Driving a Car Make Your Tinnitus Worse?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
tinnitus forum
    1. Ludwig
      Aggressive

Ludwig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 february 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Does driving a car make your tinnitus worse?

I see that a lot of Italian people say that driving a car worsens their tinnitus.
      Also for me it is the same.

Unfortunately I have to drive a lot for my kind of work.

But I did a test: I wore several times an earplug in the car to see what happened.

Nothing: tinnitus gets worse and worse. And more car was going fast (on highway for example) more my tinnitus become worse.

But then it is not a question of noise.

So my doubt: Tinnitus (probably) is a neurological problem given by neuronal hyperexcitability. Tinnitus reacts to somatic sensory signals (teeth grinding, move his neck, move your jaw etc...).

Therefore maybe the cause are the VIBRATIONS that a car can create. And for some reason noise and vibrations are transmitted through the body by stimulating a nerve already sensitive.
      What do you think?

(sorry for my probable english mistakes!)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      It is a very plausible explanation, IMO. Replacing "stimulating a nerve already sensitive" with "stimulating a nervous system already hyperexcitable and incapable to calm down" would be the only modification that I would make, because I am not convinced that T is (always) from hyperexcitable nerve (cochlear nerve, I suppose), but may be from hyperexcitable nervous system (see cases of people who got T just from stress or stopping bezos cold turkey/suddenly, without tapering down, so without going through something that could have damaged the cochlear nerve, like acoustic trauma or loud noise exposure.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      the road noise in cars is very low frequency and those frequencies are not cut much by earplugs - I found that good ear muffs work much better and that's what I use when I drive , it really does protect your ears well if you have noise damage.
      I would suggest you buy a the peltor X5a and try again , these are the best ear muffs for noise reduction available in the market now and comfortable enough to be worn for hours in cars .
      Don't go for the cheaper Chinese ones on eBay those aren't very good

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear plugs only cut the high frequncy sounds which you don't really have much in a car but to the brain it exacerbates the high frequency loss so your t is getting louder until you remove the plugs
      The ear muffs I mentioned are very good for low frequncy cut so T is bearable and won't creep up

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      image.jpeg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Ludwig
      Aggressive

Ludwig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 february 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    7. Ludwig
      Aggressive

Ludwig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 february 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have find also this explanation:

"Low frequency sound penetrates materials better. That's simply a physical fact. No matter what material the earplugs is made of, even the soft tissue of the ear will let low frequency sound get though an reach the eardrum."

8. Nonna
      Barefooter

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      The vibrating is loud. I keep my head pulled up and off of the seat.

9. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma from loud moped (2001) Noise blast (2014)
    10. Ludwig
      Aggressive

Ludwig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 february 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you! they work when you drive? My problem is that when i go out after a travel my Tinnitus It is always worse than other situations. But i don' want listen my Tinnitus during the travel :D So i can play music and drive with these headphones you think?

11. TC426
      Hungover

TC426 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would say that Yes, in my case driving makes is worse. But not while driving (i.e. it is ofen mostly masked during the drive) but with a delay.

Worth mentioning that I feel the same effect in particular other locations. Until today, I have not been able to figure out what actually causes the increase. Could have to do with the electromagnetic field, high frequency sounds that I do not hear or aircon-related.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earplugs can't cut low frequencies and noise canceling only reduce some of the constant noise but not sudden loud noise or even high frequency -
      Best of both worlds is to use an earphone inside the x5a earmuff as those are quite large inside, some earphones come with very thin or flat wires which work fine with this setup, this is what I do sometimes, I put some rain or chimes, cricket noises at low volumes and that takes the T off while I drive or ride the train

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma from loud moped (2001) Noise blast (2014)
      I drive with them all the time. Both with or without music in them.

@Bobby B , I guess in the particular situation of driving the risk of sudden loud noises aren't very high though.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      yes, absolutely. I also drive with earplugs, But My T is ALWAYS louder after driving due to the vibration. we have 2 cars. one car only 1 month old with much better suspension. 2nd car is 13 years old, not much suspension at all. so yes definiteely coming from vibration.
      But my T ALWAYS calms down and I am pretty sure that no one ever experienced a worsening in his T adter driving a car.
      But Ludwig good thought with the vibration :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      Yep! Driving, working under the ventilator, sitting on stage with loud monitors (with hearing protection), and the fans; they all increase my tinnitus. Usually, it's only temporary, but it is creeping up and getting louder.

My daughter has hearing aids that are bone conducting. There are more ways to perceive sound than just the ears. My Deaf friend loves to listen to music, but she is really feeling the music!

Maybe it's like how we think we taste with our tongue, but it's a combination of the tongue AND the nose. We use two senses to taste and we use two senses to hear.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      The poll is interesting!! 50% say it makes worse 50% not.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Ludwig
      Aggressive

Ludwig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 february 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes! Really unusual. Maybe we divide two types of tinnitus sufferers! haha

18. Starlord

Starlord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Don't really notice tinnitus getting worse when driving (usual drives range from 15-30 minutes). However, when I initially got tinnitus, driving always brought on the feeling of ear fullness, but that is gone now.

19. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It didn't in the beginning and I had a modified sports car to deal with.It never once spiked my T or caused any ear related problems,but since devastating H arrived I simply can't drive anymore because of the noise.It spikes my T and causes headaches and ear pain and my car is incredibly quiet,it's a Toyota Chaser Tourer V which is basically a JDM Lexus and even that is unbearable.

20. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have same as your sinpthons for this reason i need to drive with windows open a bit