Poll: Has Anyone Got Tinnitus Caused Purely from Exposure to Loud Noise without Any Stress?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hopeful1, Feb 10, 2017.

?

Cause of Your Tinnitus?

1. Exposure to Loud Noise

2. Exposure to Loud Noise + Stress at the Time of Noise Exposure

3. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      The reason i ask this many researchers beleive noise exposure is necessary but not sufficient for T to occur....stress is required apart from noise exposure.

Source:
      Tinnitus: Ringing in the Brain | Josef...

Army veterans are the group with highest risk as they are subjected to both.

Please submit the poll as I am keen in knowing cause.

• Informative Informative x 3
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Well it was stress that lead me too the noise that caused tinnitus for me. So....

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Interesting point, i was under immense stress when I got T ..

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Stress + hearing damage for me too

5. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several
      Lol, it's not because there are many anxious people here that T is only caused by anxiety or stress. I never had anxiety in my life, am not prone at all to stress but still have T.

I guess for some people stress might change something in their brain causing T (if there is hearing loss), but that doesn't apply to everyone with T.

6. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      People have been in bed sleeping in total silence only to wake up to moderate tinnitus in the middle of the night. Stress might be the tipping point where you notice T because the sound is no longer being actively filtered by the brain (TRN) in the video. Hence why T comes out of nowhere for lots of people instead of gradually increasing. Stress causing it would be a stretch and how are people going to avoid stress for the rest of their life?

Our eyes see floaters, our nose, and the blind spot but the brain actively filters it out so we don't notice. Hearing probably uses the same kind of mechanism. My opinion from the video is that almost everyone who doesn't hear tinnitus has some form of tinnitus but our brain filters it out. If the tinnitus gets too big then the filtering system no longer works and it's immediately seen as a regular sound. The filtering system still works though but can fail and let in another tone if that tone gets too strong or it just decides to let it through.

I wonder what would happen if there was some way to kill brain cells in the problem region (not receiving sound from ears) and kill that section. Would it fix T? I guess so but you'd also lose hearing in that Hz. Another solution could be to make a wall by killing brain cells between the problem sections so they don't leak to the region causing the tinnitus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I think it would...i read someones got rid of T after a minor stroke.

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was not stressed at the time. I went from zero tinnitus to loud tinnitus over night and then I was very stressed.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    9. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      no stress at all...i am a very calm person and always have been...never worried about anything and even now i am not worried about the future...i do notice that when i become tense or stressed my T spikes but always seems to calm down and go back to base eventually..amen to that

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      I always believed that noise exposure effect on people depends on the person's stress level at the time of exposure, that non-stressed people could get away with it. This theory resembles with the theory of Dirk Hamer and his coined DHS (Dirk Hamer Syndrome)
      http://www.newmedicineonline.com/dhs-dirk-hamer-syndrome or many other links
      My T too is in sync with stress. If I get stressed in 5 seconds after those 5 seconds I notice that my T went through the roof.
      When i was exposed to the acoustic traumas I was not only stressed but also very depressed.

11. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      @Alue
      Overnight is defined as something that extends from evening until morning, or something that happens very quickly.
      What do you mean by over night?
      Right afterwards or you woke up with T the following day?