Poll: If You Ever Had Fluid in the Middle Ear, How Long Did It Take to Dissolve?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bellafjelle, Jan 5, 2018.

?

If you ever had fluid in the middle ear, how long before it drained?

1. A few days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. One week

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Several weeks

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Months

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Years

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
    1. bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault which perforated my ear drum (Spike 2017 unknown)
      If you ever had fluid in the middle ear, how long did it take to dissolve?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Ehh, I fought with this for almost two months, shortly after my tinnitus started last year. I tried all sorts of things without much success, but I finally took Sudafed (not "Sudafed PE") for a few days and that cleared it up.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you feel the fluid suddenly disapper? Did you do anything else than taking Sudafed?

4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My problem was in my right ear only. It was strange, I noticed a change in my ear within a few hours of taking the first Sudafed, and I wouldn't say it went away "suddenly"... It was gradual. I was taking 24-hour Sudafed (at the suggestion of my GP) and after the third or fourth one I realized that I didn't have fluid anymore so I stopped taking it.

My right ear was still a bit of a mess, feeling a bit strange and "cracking" when I make certain jaw movements or swallow. That's still going on to some degree (three months later), I feel like it is getting better but very slowly.

Before taking Sudafed, I tried different things like... different maneuvers (Valsalva, etc.), heating pad on my ear, and steam inhalation. I didn't have much success with these. Steam was the closest, I felt like the Eustachian tube was open and the fluid was on the verge of draining right out but it just couldn't (also a strange feeling).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m so glad that you are better!

Unfortunately we don’t have Sudafed in Denmark. So my GP put me on Avamys to try while waiting for the ENT appointment.

Sometimes I feel the fluid moving and tickling, I don’t know if thats a good sign.

I also do Vasalva, steam and hot baths. Nothing has helped so far.

The biggest issue is that the fluid somehow blocks in the T so it is extremely loud. It’s like having an earplug in.

6. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Flonase , sudafed, and ibuprofen did it for me in a few days.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also had the fluid moving and tickling thing. Very intense at times. I think that I waited too long before dealing with it properly (it took me a while to come to an understanding of what I was feeling and the ENT didn't take a very close look). My tinnitus did ease up once this was dealt with. It's still too there but nowhere near as intense as it was before.

• Like Like x 1
    8. bsimo2213

bsimo2213 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/Excess fluid
      Accumulation of build up of fluid in my middle ear over time (due to inflammation) triggered my T eventually. I've been taking the CVS Pharma version of Mucinex D (a max strength nasal decongestant) and that has been the golden ticket to finding any relief for me. It has done a great job of making the fluid/mucus thinner so it can drain easier and create space. I also do 2-3 sprays a morning of Nasacort and throughout the morning, some fluid comes through your nostrils.
      Once the decongestant kicks in, I use steam from hot water to drain fluid from the ear, lying on my side for as long as 4 hours to drain whatever I can, applying the steam to the ear (but don't burn your ear from the heat). You can't get it all in one sitting, so you progress day by day, and each day, the T has reduced. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

9. JamesAtMvertigo

JamesAtMvertigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild ear trauma 6 months prior to onset
      This.

Mine started after minor trauma to my left ear. I woke up in the morning with a fluid like sensation in my middle ear (not my outer ear) It apparently drained away as I got up.

This continued for years, decreasing slowly until it was just a feeling of drip, drip and then finally sort of disappeared. But then it seemed to just clog up my ET and I still get an occasional cracking sound (sometimes loud enough for bystanders to hear it!) as the ET frees up, followed by a squishing sensation for a few minutes.

Sadly the tinnitus hasn't gone yet!
      You cannot drain your middle ear like this, presumably you mean your outer ear? Unless there is a hole in your ear drum no fluid is coming out of your middle ear. The middle ear will drain into your throat directly via the Eustachian Tube. And if you had a hole in your ear drum, you'd be best NOT to spray anything into it without discussing this with your ENT!

I suggest the OP stresses the distinction between the Middle Ear and the Outer Ear or that survey will be far less useful.