Popping Champagne Cork

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gosia, Aug 9, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Ok, call me paranoid..but I've been having quite a good day today and then my bf opened a bottle of cidre which is corked and has bubbles like Champagne when we were at the table. I jumped and it seemed damn loud to me. Now I think I hear T louder in the left ear. I've tried to find the info in 3 languages, but there's no info, nada, niente. How loud is a sound like that ? I instantly imagine all my hearing cells shocked, shaken. Any explosive sound like that just scares me like hell. The least lack of attention and voila.

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It's not very loud at all.

3. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      To me it sounded like a small bomb.:confused:

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this does not produce a dangerous amount of sound.

Some imaging studies have shown an increase in auditory cortex activity when people are actively listening to something. Which is to say, that if your tinnitus seems louder, it probably has more to do with you actively paying attention to it, than with the cork.

5. I understand your reaction. It's hard not to be hypervigilant and imagine the worst. It seems very, very, very unlikely that it damaged your hearing at all. I think the best thing now would be to do what you can to try to relax (easier said than done I know) and distract yourself.

6. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Thank you for replies , guys..I theoretically may know it shouldn't worsen anything yet my irrational part of brain worries. I guess I just wished I didn't have to come across this kind of unexpected noise at all. Those short and explosive - kind are the worst. I wasn't listening to it last hour. Now back in the room the left side still spikes, but it will probaly be gone tomorrow..I guess I have some sort of H too and I hear this kind of noiseas if it was very loud and therefore theoretically damaging..

7. Bart
      Balanced

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      I had the exact same thing happen to me last year, only difference was i was opening the bottle and the cork popped right in my face and gave me a good scare , my t seemed louder for a couple of days but it went back down again, it was just a psychological spike.

Looking back i realise it was not that loud, often the reaction is ten times worse than the actual sound.

• Like Like x 1