Positive Mindset Attempt

Discussion in 'Support' started by maltese, Oct 30, 2016.

1. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Hi guys,

Negatives first, skip this part if you don't feel like reading negative stuff today:

The toughest week of my life so far. I have "club-induced" T since last Friday, so it's been a full week now.

I was told by my GP that in situations like mine T in most cases goes away "but it will take more time than you think, at least a few weeks". I was hoping to see some (even very small) signs of my ears recovering but nothing of that sort happened. Something to give me hope. Light in the tunnel, you know. To make this sh*t less scary, at least.

I love studying, but T is impairing my ability to concentrate.

I can hear high-pitched noise when I fall asleep, when I wake up, when I walk, when I study. I cried, I prayed.

(kind of like) POSITIVES now!

But I'll cope with it.

T made me realise how happy I was when I could just study, work, ace the exams, make my family proud and hang out with my friends in the evenings. How little I actually need to be happy. And I will do everything to live my life like if T never existed. Hey, I'm only 19.

I don't know if I will ever hear silence again. But does it matter? I wish I could say "it's gonna be better", but I don't know if (physically) it'll be any better. But it's going to be ok. I know that.

Fun fact: I like when it's completely silent. My T feels lowest in volume then.

QUESTIONS TIME

What supplements can I take? Vitamins? Anything that could help in this (still) early stage? GP said no to giving me any kind of medication (ex. steroids) - "we don't do anything like that in the UK".

Can using masking make my T worse? Can I use in-ear headphones (on low volume, of course) to use masking when in library etc?

Thank you guys for creating this amazing community. It really helped to know I'm not allone in this.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @maltese
      Welcome to the forum. If you regularly attend clubs and listen to music through headphones, it is likely that your tinnitus has been coming on for some time and you didn't realize its full onset until last Friday when it become loud and intrusive. I will give you a few suggestions and a couple of links at the bottom of the page, which will take you to posts that I think will help you.

1. If you want your tinnitus to improve and you probably have hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) don't listen to any type of audio through headphones, even at low volume. Please click on the link below, to read what headphones can do even at low volume for some people with tinnitus.
      2.Don't try to mask your tinnitus (cover it up) as you will make matters worse. More about this is explained in the link below: Introduction to tinnitus.
      3. Keep away from loud sounds and give the clubbing a rest.
      4. Try to avoid quiet rooms during the day and especially at night. Use sound enrichment, more is explained in the link below.
      5. If you are feeling stressed which is a common with the onset of tinnitus, have a word with your GP who may prescribe something to settle you.
      7. Give it time. You are in the very early stages of tinnitus and it could go away completely or it's likely you will eventually habituate to it.
      7. I strongly advise you to never use headphones again even at low level.

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/used-headphones-to-watch-a-show.18299/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Hi @Michael Leigh,

Ad 1. No vitamins then :)

I had super intense hyperacusis at the beginning but I feel like it's going away. T is still there.

I'm not a club person. I used headphone almost every day but at low volumes (I mean, really low volumes. 10%, max 30% of my phone's volume bar while at home, a tad louder outside.).

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any kind of T before Friday, not a constant one. When in ABSOLUTE silence, I'd hear SOMETHING after a shower, a run, a loud day. But it'll go away after minutes.

Now it's constant. And as it's very high frequency I can hear it over everyday noises - my flat is next to a busy street so it's never actually "quiet" but it doesn't help at all. T is not super loud, just terrifyingly constant.

I'm a bit confused about tip 3 though. Nature sounds, like forest give a great relief. Can I use them?

Thank you for all your tips.

PS. Another piece of positive thoughts: after a really, really s**tty day yesterday, with super-anxiety, today is better :)

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @maltese I don't want to burst your bubble. In my experience with tinnitus and dealing with many people that have the condition, rarely does hyperacusis improve so quickly. However, we are all different and I'm pleased for you if it has. I mention this just to make you aware that tinnitus and hyperacusis, in the early stages can be like riding a rollercoaster. For a few days one believes there's improvement and they've turned a corner only to have their hopes shattered when the symptoms return with a vengeance.

Please believe me, prior to the full onset of your tinnitus when it became suddenly very intrusive, it was there lurking in background but not noticeable due to surrounding sounds from the environment that didn't allow your brain to focus on it.

I advise you again, and I'm serious about this: Don't listen to any type of audio through headphones no matter how low the volume is set. If you read the post in the link that I sent you: learn from others and don't make their mistakes.

There are many people here at tinnitus talk that will help you. Please click on my profile picture and choose "started threads" there are many articles that I've written on: tinnitus, hyperacusis and sound enrichment. Positivity etc.
      All the best
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Forgot to mention - I agree. No more headphones it is. Thanks for this tip, possibly life-saving.

"Please believe me, prior to the full onset of your tinnitus when it became suddenly very intrusive, it was there lurking in the background but not noticeable due to surrounding sounds from the environment which didn't allow your brain to focus on it."

I've read somewhere everyone has it, if placed in a quiet enough room.

When I think about a bit, then yeah, you're right. Some things sound a bit off, and sometimes sounds are irritating. But it's bearable.

" For a few days, one believes there's improvement and they've turned a corner only to have their hopes shattered when the symptoms return with a vengeance."

This is so true! I remember noticing my T is lower in volume and pitch, way less intrusive. I was so cheerful. It went back to normal withing an hour, heh.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @maltese

I have to make a correction to my earlier comments. I have taken magnesium in the past on the advice of a herbalist and believed it helped my hyperacusis. Magnesium can help repair nerve damage. The auditory pathways are all made of nerves. With noise induced tinnitus and hyperacusis, it said magnesium can help.

I still take ginkgo biloba in tincture (liquid) form. I take Avogel brand 15 drops in water 3 times a day. Some people do believe certain vitamins and minerals have helped their tinnitus so do try some of their suggestions and forget my previous comments on this.
      Michael