Possible Dysacusis? How Can I Keep It from Getting Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by aot, Apr 13, 2020.

1. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      I was on the bus today, wearing 20 dB musician's plugs. I heard this tone, like a distant Amber Alert. I've encountered this tone before as part of my tinnitus, so I ignored it.

But when I was off the bus, and still heard it, I covered my ears and I couldn't hear it. Uncovered my ears, and it was back. It's very faint, but I'm worried. I've experienced some dysacusis before (one time I was watching a show and the soundtrack caused an irritating tone in one ear. Rewound it and watched the scene again, tone was gone. And sometimes I hear a faint whistle when it rains.) And now I'm scared that it'll become worse and worse. I keep telling myself not to panic because panicking won't fix anything, but needless to say I'm panicking a bit. My tinnitus is much more manageable now, but bad hearing distortion would just destroy me.

Some info: Mostly unilateral tinnitus, sometimes switches ears. Sometimes bilateral when I'm tired. Mild TTTS symptoms. Some high frequency hearing loss in left ear.

2. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Stress makes dysacusis so much worse for me. Don’t stress out about it I know it’s hard but please don’t.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I concur - I definitely feel like my ears are more prone to acting up with TTTS/hyperacusis symptoms when I am very anxious or sleep deprived.