Possible Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jaelup, Jul 14, 2018.

1. jaelup

jaelup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus started in right ear only 1.5 years ago, January 2017. I had a bad sinus infection in November 2015 and November 2016. Have always had bad allergies, and can barely breathe through my nose currently, worse on right nostril, same as tinnitus.

My ear has felt very clogged this entire time, since the tinnitus started, and sometimes has an "itchy" feeling. Had hearing tests done about 1 year ago and no hearing loss.

I'm thinking either acoustic neuroma or ETD, with ETD being more likely. Any tips?

I've been taking zyrtec and nasal spray daily, but no help.

Going back to ENT tomorrow.

Any meds I should ask for?

2. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      Assuming it’s an issue with your Eustatian tubes causing unequal pressures across your eardrum that is causing your tinnitus, then the meds your ENT would prescribe would be for the cause; that is, possibly prescription decongestants or antihistamines if it’s allergy related or antibiotics if there is an infection. It’s possible your OTC remedies are not strong enough or not specific to the cause. Hopefully your ENT can find the cause and provide you relief. Good luck.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @jaelup,
      It sounds to me that is allergy related and may be pollen and grass pollen with high pollen count.
      The ithing is a give away and extra mucus it produces that can go in to your eustation tubes and at night as the mucus goes in your eustation tubes with post nasil drip due to allergens and sinus problems with it.
      love glynis

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Definately not acoustic neuroma from what you describe. Get ENT to check your nose for a deviated septum (which can cause breathing difficulties) or to check adenoid tissue isn't blocking the back of the nasal cavity

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jaelup

jaelup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Any tips for things I can do right now to alleviate it? Breathe in hot water, use 'nettypot', ...?

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Steam inhalation, sudafed,antihistamine, nose spray,saline spray etc could help.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      I steam my face and use a neti pot. They both help keep my sinuses clear. I do both once a week. Get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. PatrizX
      Terrified

PatrizX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain Injury/Spinal Cord Compression and Injury/Nerve Damage
      My ENT had me on several antihistamines/nasal sprays to rule out Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. They did not help. I have chronic 24/7 loud metallic tinnitus, ear fullness, hearing loss, hyperacusis, both ears feel foamy/crackling/crunchy and get worse when yawning and swallowing. I get the deep ear pain and itch that I cannot get to. The pain goes into my jaw area. The itch is very deep and brief. My problems are from head and neck trauma. I actually had an ENT say it was my hair itching my ears and to live with it! I was put on several steroid nasal sprays, which if it helped, would indicate ETD. They did not help. I'm on my second stronger diuretic, Acetazolamide 250 mg daily, and it is helping the crackling/foamy/fullness/pain/itching in the ears. This ENT from a first-class research hospital in the US indicated that if Diamox does help my ear condition, then it is most likely secondary endolymphatic hydrops, and not ETD. The Diamox did not make the symptoms go away but it is noticeably reducing them. No treatment has ever reduced my 24/7 screeching tinnitus and hyperacusis. It seems that many ENTs are not well-versed and experienced in trying to figure out complicated problems. Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      How did the Diamox work for you over the long term? Were there any side effects? My doctor wants me to take it but I'm hesitant.