Post 1st ENT Appointment — Intermittent Dizziness After Having Ears Cleaned — Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Woodward, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Danny Woodward
      Frustrated

Danny Woodward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear fungal Infection/Possibly medication
      Hi,

I've yet to do the introduction part of this site but will get to it but I do have one or two concerns and will try to give a few details - Basically had my first ENT appointment today after having an ear infection for at least four weeks (at least) and he cleaned out some goop and gunk from my ear (outer as far as I know he didn't say inner ear). I had the hearing test shortly afterwards and was told no hearing loss but left ear (infected ear) was weaker, but that it could be because of the infection. My left ear was given a second look though by another Doc in the room (which confused me) but he too said everything looked clean and the ear drum looked fine or healing, can't remember which but basically was happy with what he saw.

Then I came home (have yet to get the medication because I have to go to the Docs to have it written for some reason which is being put in tomorrow), anyway other than the high pitched noise still being there (they said it should go in a month or so - fingers crossed) I'm now feeling a little dizzy.

It isn't a constant feeling, It happened when they were suctioning out my ear and lasted a minute or two (I had to ask him to stop for a second and asked him why) but a few hours later and at home I've just done a little shopping and my head is a little dizzy, not much but enough to affect me. I'm sitting down now and the head has stopped spinning.

I was just wondering if people knew if this was normal. I've tried to have a look online but it made no sense because it was talking about "What ENT Doctor can do about vertigo" or some variation of.

So is this normal to have after having your ear suctioned/cleaned (however you put it) because I'm a little confused as this was my first ENT appointment and never had to have my ear cleaned like that before. Please let me know, thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What you're describing is probably within a range of "normal", but your experience will vary a lot based on what doctor you see.

Suctioning in general is ill advised for people with tinnitus, it can be quite loud. The ENT I see now used a hand tool to clear earwax out and told me he doesn't like suction or syringing in general, and won't perform it on people with hearing loss, tinnitus or noise tolerance problems.

I had a syringing once that was pretty loud, but it did get some nasty wax out and I was fine.

My guess is that things will level out and normalize for you over the next days / weeks, as that's the normal trend, but no one can really tell you. Follow up with your medical team, avoid loud noises for a bit, try to practice good sleep hygiene, and other than that just lead your normal life.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I am sure you will be fine with respect to the tinnitus.

One of my friends had an INNER ear infection that caused tinnitus, it cleared up in 6 weeks.

You may be interested in looking at this study where they asked participants to wear an ear plug to simulate a conductive hearing loss. They all developed tinnitus, which went away in 2 weeks once the earplug was removed.

I'm sure your experience will be similar.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3366980/

4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      From this study I would conclude that these people had mild tinnitus and only heard it in very quiet environments. Once you gave them ear plugs it became more apparent.

This is still interesting though and shows that over protection can cause issues with tinnitus regardless.

@Ed209 would find this interesting I’m sure.

5. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't start up that thing again @Jack Straw . Enough with the plugging debate! I think actually he and Bill have both seen it.

According to some people, like my audiologist, we all have a *little bit* of tinnitus, it's just once we damage inner hear cells, it becomes more apparent due to auditory gain being turned up. Something like that.

I tend to believe it's kind of true. Most people probably don't spend their days with earplugs in 24/7, checking on every little peep they hear.

6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I urge people who have tinnitus to not do microsuction, ear syringing (caloric test), cvemp, acoustic reflex, ecog, etc to preform these tests, they can damage hearing and cause hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Woodward
      Frustrated

Danny Woodward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for replying everyone, I'm hoping that the tinnitus does go after a few weeks because I can't bare the sound. I'm currently struggling to get over the loss of my pet which I'm sure isn't helping my situation and the fear of having it with me forever is also another issue and have been told by many doctors (five I think) that they're 98% sure it'll pass because it does for most people but said doctors never said anything is 100 said I could be the 1 in so many thousands. So there is some hope.

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Woodward
      Frustrated

Danny Woodward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for replying everyone, I'm hoping that the tinnitus does go after a few weeks because I can't bare the sound. I'm currently struggling to get over the loss of my pet which I'm sure isn't helping my situation and the fear of having it with me forever is also another issue and have been told by many doctors (five I think) that they're 98% sure it'll pass because it does for most people but said doctors never said anything is 100 said I could be the 1 in so many thousands. So there is some hope.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Woodward
      Frustrated

Danny Woodward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sure you will be fine! Has the tinnitus changed at all in terms of volume, pitch, etc?

Sorry about your pet. I don't think some people appreciate how much it takes out of you. I'm assuming it's the doge in your avatar?