Post Concussion Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lebber, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my story because I'm quite desperate.

About 2.5 months ago I got a severe concussion, which resulted in post concussion syndrome (PCS). Immediately after the bump to my head I got this static noise in my ear. The first month it was quite bearable and I would only hear it at night (but didn't affect my sleep that much).

But in the second month it started to get worse (louder, different sounds/pitches/intensity of volume). It also became continuously and so loud I couldn't ignore it anymore. It has come to a point where i can't sleep nor eat due to the stress of it.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with (post) concussion tinnitus? Maybe a success story of it going away? What worries me the most is that it has gotten much worse.

I do have to say that my concussion was very severe and it took about 2 months for most symptoms to go away. So it still gives me a slight hope that it will heal over time, like the rest of my symptoms. I've also went to several health practitioners and they all gave me a different prognosis. Some said you just have to learn to live with it and it won't go away. Others say I have a good chance of it going away, because it was a mild brain trauma, but it will take a lot of time.

Anyways, thanks for reading this. :) I'm very grateful if someone replied.

PS: Has someone got some tips for sleep?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bartek
      Alone

Bartek Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo withdrawal
      Hi,
      There is always a chance of it going away. With T the first months are always the worst. And probably 90% o people with T develop new sounds (me included) it will get better trust me :) You are experiencing that what everyeone is experiencing anxiety panic attacks slepllessnes its normal and it will get better. Really hope yours will go away

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. The one success story that I often mention on enjoying life travelling around the world after T is from Aaron of China. He is no longer actively posting now but I remember that he posted that he suffered a fall and had head concussion/injury that his T was very hard on him initially, enough to lose his fiancee over the ordeal and causing him suicidal thoughts. But as you see from his success story, life went back to normal and perhaps more than normal for him after the initial struggle. So don't panic nor despair. T may just fade over time as your concussion gets better. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...are-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow thanks for the messages. It's nice to hear that some people can get over this and live their life to the fullest.

For me the biggest problem is is that my t isn't constant. It fluctuates during the day in volume and every few minutes there is another sound (it comes and it goes). Sometimes its so loud i can hear it over everything.
      Idk if this is my brain is trying to repair itself or something.

I feel that if it was constant i could cope with it better.

Are there any others who have this kind of fluctuating t?

5. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hey Lebber, how has your T evolved over the last months? Do you get quiet periods? What did your doctors say about your neck and jew trauma?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey jurgen,

First my t only got worse. But now it has stabilized and gotten better with physiotherapy. Although my right ear is still bad. My doctor suspects something is wrong with my right eardrum. But ill have to wait untill march for tests.
      I dont have quiet periods but i dont hear it most of the time because i have gotten used to it :) how about you? Do you have quiet periods? How long do you have t?

Well for the diagnosis. The doctors i went didnt do an effort to search the cause. They said that was nearly impossible. But luckily i knew about somatic t from my work and i was highly suspicious that it had something to do with my neck. So i asked for a referral to a physiotherapist. And it worked to bring it somewhat down. I now have a new gp who did confirm it is mainly jaw and neck tinnitus. She put a lot of effort in finding out the cause.

So im pretty happy now. What about you? Whats your cause?

Btw any luck with your brother?