POST YOUR FAVORITE EAR PLUGS! :D

Discussion in 'Support' started by mintbaby, Mar 23, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. mintbaby

mintbaby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss (probably)
      Hi everyone. I am in the market for some new earbuds. I've tried the foam ones they sell at Walgreens and what not, but yeah, we all know those just drown out every sound. I am hard of hearing in one ear (mild/moderate hearing loss). I want some plugs that I going to still allow me to hear movie dialogue in theatres, and the music/sermon at church. I need something that will fit into a small canal. Thanks everyone! God bless! :)

2. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Have an audiologist make you some.they make a mold of your ear canal and fit your ears perfect,different colors too.also you can hear just fine with them in.

3. mintbaby

mintbaby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss (probably)
    4. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Mine was around 130.00

5. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
    6. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I use Hearos Xtreme ear plugs. They are larger but I need that, normal ear plugs seem too small for me and I don't think they give adequate protection even when I roll them and insert them deep. It's a frustrating problem to have.

What's the highest rating for custom molded earplugs? I'd consider getting some if they have a high NRR.

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      I use those - best value for money , comfortable silicone plugs with two sizes and various filters

http://crescendo-hearingprotection.com/collection/work/

Use a combination of filter for the good / bad Ear or foam one in the good ear

The small size is quite small - the large is normally large not too large

I poured some glue on the filter of one and got maybe 30db as a result wiht the same confort if you don't need filters as its loud enough

For just quick walks / drive / commute / restaurant etc..where putting plugs in and off is a hassle and looks not a factor I use the Peltor x5a.
      By far the best muffs for protection and comfort - heavy material won't resonate much if you hit them against obstacles which is one of the issue with muffs

Most people in my office are still convinced that I listen to music via a fancy large set of wireless headphones when they see me in and out the building ...
      They could not believe those cost only 25 usd

Ear muffs give more breathing space to ears and seem to make t less noticeable as they block more bass than plugs - great for driving and plane rides and just about anything especially if you have short hair

8. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wish they came in three sizes: small, medium, and actually large.

I have noticed this too. I prefer wearing earmuffs when I don't care how it looks. But earplugs seem to increase my T by a LOT, my earmuffs don't really increase it by that much even though they seem to attenuate more sound than the plugs. I don't quite understand why.

9. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      i think the plugs don't cut bass much - only the highs are cut so it's like t where only the high Frequency cell are effected as opposed to all the cells and noise level drop overall in a natural way that the brain is used too - like a normaly very quite place

10. Ed209

Ed209 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

I use ACS pro plugs. I've got a 10db, 17db, 26db filter, and a blanking cap.

The answer to the quote is around 30db if you use the blanking plate.

I will add that I also have a pack of Hearos xtreme, a set of Etymotic er20's, and a set of alpine classics.

Nowadays, I only use the custom molded ones as to me they are by far the best.