Pre-Med DJ with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Thomas Scott, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Thomas Scott

Thomas Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 6th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I am a 22 year old who had DJ'ed now for about 5-6 years. I begin medical school in the fall and have found myself having very serious tinnitus.

Does anyone have strategies or thoughts on how to cope?

My ENT said that that I should not be experiencing symptoms in a month and I should expect a full recovery. I was wondering what my outlook would be given my age.... any thoughts or tricks?

2. Dem

Dem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently - Concert 2012-2016 H - virus
      You will have better chances to recovery if you will start protecting yourself from unnecessary noises. I would consider giving up on headphones and DJing for a while.
      Do you have hyperacusis now?

3. fruityreverb
      Heartbroken

fruityreverb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      laying down in bed, noticed and focused on it
      EDM music producer here, I'm wondering about the headphones, i mix with my headphones and i also play games with friends. without headphones i can't hear details in the mix and i can't play with friends online because of the feedback they hear. sort of feels like my life just got limited again (already been limited because of an autoimmune disease I have causing loads of issues but my diet is now super strict in order to try to remission)

4. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Learn to live with it. You can't stop your life because of this. Be Lucky you did not lose any obvious hearing. You can do this!

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't see a problem using headphones as long as you are disciplined about keeping the volume at reasonable levels. I use them myself (I'm a musician), with the blessing of all my doctors.

6. fruityreverb
      Heartbroken

fruityreverb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      laying down in bed, noticed and focused on it
      It's just everyone on the forums saying "AVOID HEADPHONES". I just don't want to risk it getting worse. I don't like taking risks. :(

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not everyone. Just a few vocal people.

It's up to you really. Perhaps you could ask real professionals about it (ENT doctors, audiologists or - my personal preference - a neurotologist). That's what I did.

• Informative Informative x 1