Pressure Sensitive Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RobertC, Jul 20, 2021.

1. RobertC

RobertC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello fellow sufferers. I have two separate tinnitus tones in my left ear, a high pitched tone around 5,500 Hz, and a low pitched tone around 425 Hz. I am certain their cause is different. I have significant low frequency hearing loss below 800 Hz resulting from excessive occupational noise, and moderate high frequency loss above 3,000 Hz due to age (65). I can still hear pretty well at all intermediate frequencies between 800 and 3,000 Hz, since the distracting tones are above and below that range. The high frequency tinnitus appears to be the classic brain-generated type, because I can make it go away completely for several minutes by listening to a high-frequency audio sweep from 4,000 -16,000 Hz for 10-20 seconds. My brain says, oh now I can hear something, and turns down the ringing.

The low frequency tinnitus is much more bothersome because it interferes with I want to listen to. Also it is clearly aggravated with pressure changes: When I bend over, when I hiccup, when I clinch the muscles around my sinuses and behind my eyes, when I wiggle my finger in my ear. It is not sensitive to coughing or jogging. Also, it goes away almost completely for 2-3 hours after I soak in a hot bath - every time, but is back strongly in the morning. My outer ear channel is clear. My middle ear appears fine because I can pop and clear my hearing equally on both sides by holding my nose and pressurizing my nasal passages. That suggests inner ear to me, but I have no vertigo or dizziness at all. My low frequency hearing loss has been constantly bad for over 15 years, but this all started happening about 15 months ago, and has been bad and stable for the last 3 months. The only other thing that was different in the last few years is that I was on Xarelto for 6 months before this started and for 6 months afterwards. I have tried decongestants (Sudafed), antihistamines (Dramamine), OTC ear ringing medication (Lipoflavonoid), blood circulation improver (L-Arginine), expectorant (Guaifenesin), and cutting out caffeine.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.