Previous Complete Recovery from Ototoxic Mercilon

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Parfait, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Parfait

Parfait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'd like to share my brief story about how my first batch of tinnitus went completely away in 2008.

Please note I am now on my second bad bad batch of it since 25.11.16- in the opposite ear mostly.

I was 'silent' for 9 years in between.

So the first batch: I was prescribed Mercilon, a contraceptive. I got tinnitus from it. It was a low pitched humming noise that would commonly be triggered by noise such as shutting cupboards. It was annoyingly but not disabling (like the current batch is). It was in my right ear.

I figured out it must be the drug causing it so I came off the drug after 10 days (I thereafter got pregnant immediately and there is therefore only 13 months between my first two children). The volume of the tinnitus went right down after coming off the drug, almost immediately, and the tinnitus went completely away after about 4 months (approx but I can't really remember how long.

I do recall visiting ent and it was still there. They refused to believe it was the drug causing it. My hearing was tested to be perfect).

2. Lesly

Lesly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      @Parfait Hi. Did your tinnitus go away? Mine has been with me for a month since stopping medication.

3. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Ibuprofen caused mine. Thanks for your post, very helpful reading about drug induced tinnitus improving.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

and your second batch?