Progress on Pink Noise for Hyperacusis/Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rudy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      Hey all, just wanted to get some feed back on how pink noise has helped or not helped you for H and T. I was fortunate enough to have someone send me the pink noise cd sent to me from the hyperacusis network. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and it almost seems as if my T is louder and ear sensitivity is worse. I'm using over the ear/open air headphones as instructed. Has anyone else had their symptoms get worse before getting better? I'm concerned if I should stop or keep going.

Thanks for your time!

2. My tinnitus and hyperacusis have both gotten worse with every treatment I have tried.

3. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @svintegrity Did you do TRT? I read you did Neuromonics.

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Worse as well. Any constant noise makes things get worse for me.

5. @DutchGuy I did not try TRT, but after reading Dr. Nagler's account of TRT vs Neuromonics, I would have definitely tried TRT first. I do think that people selling Neuromonics are crossing a thinly veiled ethical line. I am like @Telis any constant noise makes my T worse.

6. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Everything is soo much louder, all frequencies. I even feel vibration from low sounds. Like someone slamming the car door in the street. I don't have pain H but loudness H. My T. is not loud. Car doors, loud voices, kids screaming, traffic, wind, wood floors, plastic, cutterly, metal sounds, grocery freezers, everything is louder.

• Creative Creative x 1
    7. @DutchGuy Your H sounds like the opposite of mine, but I can certainly see how disturbing it can seem for you. My H is painful, but the loudness of everything is also intolerable. I have been trying to slowly be in normal everyday noise situations, but everything seems so loud out there that I isolate in my house. Any constant noise makes my T go up. If you come up with any helpful strategies, please share them.

8. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

Read this PDF for some guidelines....Noises below 85dcb can't harm ourselves. I also have H with reactive T which is horrible but I think if I isolate myself in silence... my tolerance gets worse and also my T. I guess this is a bit like (an analogy) a muscle strain... if you don't do nothing it gets worse... if you over use it it gets worse. But defenitly our ears need some stimuli from noises or we never going to get some tolerance back... So I made this rule when I know the sound can't hurt myself (above 85dcb) I endure the pain, of course this is very hard to do because theres always a child screaming, a car horn that you can't control. But try not to focus on it. And you'll get a bit better. At least with this strategy I feel that sounds don't hurt me as much as they used to. Of course I don't go to loud restaurantes, to bars, to concerts. But I can say Im better.

As far as pink noise, I use it but not on headphones, on speakers and on low volume.

Attached Files:

9. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I cant bear any of these pink, white brown noises, not even for a few minutes, not even via ear phones. I tried WNGS for a total of 16 hours made me a whole lot worse.
      I am just living with normal house sounds, small short trips in the car to small shops. and waiting for it to improve.