Progressive Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have my hearing tested every 6 months or so, I am loosing my hearing fairly quickly. I originally got tinnitus from barotrauma and then ototoxic meds. What I don't understand is why is my hearing and T is getting worse all of the time?

Prior to my ear injury, my ears were top notch. Now with the tinnitus and hyperacusis my ears are somehow a lot more prone to damage? I can go to a quiet pub (around 65-70db) and I feel half deaf with stabbing pain when I get out of the noise. I can sleep some of it off, but my ears don't come back 100 percent. This goes the same for barking dogs, sirens, etc.

I originally lost a lot of high frequency hearing (above 8khz) but now I'm getting big dips in the lower range where my hearing was somewhat okay just A year ago.

Is all this pain that I experience with H actually killing my hearing? A flick of a light switch hurts me, but I go out and do moderately loud things regardless of the severe pain, I am thinking that this is just not a good idea anymore.

I've been told that these noises are not damaging to the ear, even if I experience a lot of pain. Well two years later and a lot of painful hits, my hearing is totally f//ked and my T is raging like never before.

My right ear has the most loss now, this is the ear that is closest to my tennis racket and hockey stick. Is this a coincidence? I have to get out every day because I can't take sitting with my T blasting but I feel like I'm making things worse.

I'm to the point that my T is so bad that I can't even concentrate for 5 min on the simplest things (like writing this) and my H is so bad that I can't talk at times. I'm kind of loosing my shit so like to get out an play tennis or skate outside (shoot the puck around) for hours at a time to kill off some of the day. Maybe these outlets are making it worse?

I feel so crippled by this shit. I feel that I fight back at a big expense.

Anyone experience something similar.

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hard to say Telis I mean they say we're not more prone to damage but we haven't been able to prove them wrong yet,in my opinion we are more prone and I learned that the hard way unfortunately.Funny thing is even though my ears are screwed I have no hearing loss?I just done a test on myself and I can hear upto 19,000hz in my right ear at medium volume and 18,000hz at medium volume in my left ear?Thats 100hz to 19,000hz with no loss anywhere in between but yet my hearing is screwed?Theres lots we don't understand man just keep doing what your doing and hopefully we'll get some relief soon.

3. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      @Telis

I would like to know if this is true, does hearing go downhill after an initial event causing hearing loss, T, and H?

Have others had ever increasing hearing loss after their initial event?

How much loss have you had with your hearing since the initial onset event, Telis?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Quite a bit, I think hearing aids are a option now, not chance a year ago when most of the damage sat above 8khz.