Hearing Protection Against Your Own Snoring?

Discussion in 'Support' started by John_415, Jun 29, 2018.

1. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey everyone,

I have heard people say I sometimes snore like 'they are cutting down a nearby forest'.

Most of the time my tinnitus is highest in the evenings and lowest in the mornings, but sometimes, it is higher in the mornings. I have just started suspecting that my own heavy snoring (that I hear I do) sometimes might be the culprit. I once heard a loud snore echo when falling asleep while bathing and that was the only time I heard it.

I recently started recording sound while I am sleeping to catch myself in the act! But all kidding aside, is there a way to protect myself against my own snoring?

I was thinking earplugs, but I read on here sneezing with earplugs in makes that sound a lot louder so, could snoring be the same way I wonder.

Suggestions against snoring are also welcome.

2. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When you wear earplugs, the occlusion effect makes your internal sounds louder. Have you tried different sleeping and head positions to help the air flow more freely, and maybe to reduce the snoring.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah I see, not much countering the occlusion effect with earplugs then.

I mostly sleep on my right side since my tinnitus is mainly on my left side. I can't sleep on my back since I somehow can't breathe when falling asleep on my back and immediately wake up again. Maybe I could get used to falling asleep on the other side. Il try different head positions and pillows and measure my own snoring to see if it helps.

4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Sounds like sleep apnea. You should get that checked out with your doctor.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I just read up on sleep apnea, and I think you are right, I have lots of the symptoms.

6. Dave555
      Alienated

Dave555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tools
      I just searched for this thread because I think snoring is a trigger for me. I'm surprised more people aren't looking into this. I installed the SnoreLab app on my phone, and I think there is a correlation between how much I snore and tinnitus when I wake up. I'm trying to lose weight to reduce snoring and I think I'm going to get a soft headboard and more carpeting so that might muffle the sound a bit, maybe even some acoustic panels on the walls.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. ahlisa
      Fine

ahlisa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear syringing followed by acoustic shock
      I’m having similar issues. I can’t sleep on my side anymore because I have jaw issues that irritate my ears, but sleeping on my back makes me snore much louder than before. Is this going to worsen my hyperacusis over time? There are some days when I wake up fine, but sometimes I wake up and my loudness hyperacusis/TTTS is more sensitive.

Eventually my goal is to resolve my jaw issues so I can sleep on my side again, but I’m currently taking a break from physical therapy to isolate and rest my ears at home. Not sure what to do about this problem in the meantime. Are earplugs at night enough?