Pulsatile Tinnitus — Starting the Journey

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario Allison, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Mario Allison

Mario Allison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu?
      I just found this forum and decided to post since there are a few individuals whom I can relate to. My pulsatile tinnitus started in April this year after I had a bad cold. A month later I had to travel and I could not pop my left ear, where I have the pulsatile tinnitus. I visited an ENT consultant who gave me nasal spray as according to him I had eustachian tube dysfunction. The spray had no effect and I visited the ENT again. I was prescribed with oral steroids. He told me that after 10 days I would be cured. Unfortunately this did not happen.

I had a hearing test done and results were fine. The same ENT told me that it will be gone by itself. It is now September and the whooshing is still there. I went to another ENT who told me that I did not have ETD but pulsatile tinnitus. He told me that the next step is to have a doppler test on my neck to check whether I could have a blocked carotid vein. I am having many sleepless nights worrying about this and would really like to find what's wrong. I am 63 years old. No high blood pressure. I am going to have blood tests as well.

Shall keep posting with outcome. It gives me courage to read others who are suffering through this and that I am not alone.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario Allison

Mario Allison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu?
      Hi all,

I had a scheduled doppler ultrasound today. The results were fine i.e. No narrowed carotid veins. Whilst "glad" to hear the news I was also disappointed..... I have now another appt with my ENT and I think my next step will be an MRI / MRA. My anxiety is building up. I do hope to find the cause but at the same time am afraid of what it might be!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario Allison

Mario Allison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu?
      Thought of giving an update. Done MRI and got results. Nothing significant was found, specifically no tumors. Very good news indeed, however my symptoms are still the same. Ear blocked and whooshing sound like the wind in it. If I press my neck I can enjoy silence again. Does anyone here has these symptoms as I only read a few posts where anyone had the ear blocked. ENT said no fluid or infection. I try to pop it to no avail. Going slightly mad with this situation!

4. Caroline48

Caroline48 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi is your sound continuous? I have a wind sound in my right ear only, it happens when I move my head in different positions, when I bend down. The only time it is continuous is when I sleep on my left side and my neck is in a certain position. I went to my doctors and she listened to my neck and said it was clear. I am waiting for a appointment with a ENT but I am so worried it is a blockage in a blood vessel. The one thing the doctor did find was pockets of fluid when she looked in my ear but she said this was nothing to worry about.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario Allison

Mario Allison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu?
      Hi,
      Thanks for the feedback. My sound is continous and does not change with head movements. It just stops when I press my neck. I went to 3 ENTs who all said there is no fluid in my ear, however I was not given any explanation as to why my ear feels clogged!