Pulsatile Tinnitus Goes Away When I Press on My Neck

Discussion in 'Support' started by Victactoria, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Victactoria

Victactoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I've had pulsatile tinnitus for about 16 years. I am just now going to get it diagnosed and hopefully find the underlying cause. I was just wondering does yours go away when you push on your neck and if so, have you been diagnosed? Thank you so much for any response.

I am new to this forum and so glad to find it. I am a 35 year old female, mine started when I was taking Paxil. I have no idea if that's a coincidence. I am no longer on any antidepressants though and I still have the tinnitus.

Also I don't press on my neck often :p I just know that to do so, shuts this bloody pulsing beast up!

2. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I have PT and I get dryneedling for it. It is a triggerpoint treatment which is rather painfull, but it helps.... sometimes I am free of it for months, it came on like last week or so again and I think because the damn heat here in the Netherlands at the moment it won't quiet down. But yes if I press on places in my neck or the site of my skull I can change it, but people have that also with normal T.

Most people with PT can change the pitch or make it more quiet for a moment when pressing on specific points. Ut can be that you have a lot of inflammation around your neck which will elevate your T when cured.

Dryneedling works for me most of the time. This time it worked but it keeps sticking it head up after a couple of hours on and off.

Stress can also make it much worse just as with normal T, but you have it for 16 years so I guess you already know that .

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Victactoria

Victactoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much. I've never heard of dry needling. It sounds like something to try. Especially if you've gotten some relief from it. :D

• Like Like x 1
    4. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
    5. Haryssia

Haryssia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I'm new here too and also 35. :) I'm on my second ENT after seeing one several years ago and being told to deal with it! My PT quietens significantly when I hold the pulse points in my neck, I use this when it gets too loud to hear a conversation or similar, although people must think I'm completely off my rocker, asking them to repeat themselves and then clutching at my throat! Pressing just under my ears helps too, but not as much.

I'm currently going through the whole testing thing with the new ENT, and have scans today. He suspects I have SCDS, but I have some additional symptoms and not just the PT. Other options could have been a dural fistula (his second guess at this point in time), a venous sinus stenosis or intracranial hypertension.

Good luck. I hope we both find our causes!

6. Aevity

Aevity Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did you ever get this fixed? I've only recently developed pulsatile tinnitus and I'm trying everything I can to get this resolved. I can't live like this. Please tell me you can help..

7. Chezzam

Chezzam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Helicopter ride
      I'm so glad to see this post. I have had PT for 15 years i'm 39. I have had a small lump in my neck that if I press quietens my PT I have had MRI, Ct scans and have seen a consultant who was mystified at my pressing neck cure. :)
      I 'm so glad its normal. I try not to do it to often but the Tinnitus definitely affects my hearing although have had numerous hearing tests and they say they are fine!!!!! Very annoying.

8. Ems

Ems Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 years ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Mine also can go away if I press on m neck. But if I let go it comes back right away. If I can’t hear something very well, then I can press to hear and let go. The sounds of my heart beat in my ear, is very annoying. I’ve had it for several years now.

9. Chezzam

Chezzam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Helicopter ride
      Have you been to the Doctors about the lump. My doctor can never feel the lump when they try to feel it, but I can feel it straight away. It worried me for a long while having a lump. I do the same if i'm trying to listen to something I press my neck its a running joke in our family now. It is very annoying.

10. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Then it's venous and that should be correctable with surgery and/or drugs like Plavix.

Have you had any tests? Ultrasound on your carotids?

11. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      I have T and PT. When I press my neck, when the clicking sound is happening, as opposed to PT sound, it increases the sound as I press. My PT is always loudest when I sit too long, lay down in bed or after getting out of a hot shower. Stretching my back while sitting causes PT temporarily to be very loud. I first came here to this site three years ago. Have had CT, MRIs etc. No help. Made an appointment to see another Dr (ENT). I will probably get a hearing aid if I don’t get any answers as my hearing is getting worse. I have many other symptoms.