Pulsating, Tension, and "Numbness" on the Right Side of My Face

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sen, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      This symptom began in late 2013 or early 2014.

Basically there is a physical sensation of pulling, pulsating, tension and a pseudo-numbeness (not truly numbness, because I can still feel when I touch it, but when I'm not touching it is feels numb) on the right side of my face, primarily in the temple and cheekbone area, but can extend to my nose, forehead, eye area, and lower cheek/jaw. It almost feels like my face is being pressed upon, and sometimes is so intense gives the sensation of my skull being caught in a vice grip. Sometimes it worsens with headaches on that side of my head. Less often I will feel a tingling sensation going up the right side of my scalp.

This is a 24/7 sensation, with very few moments of relief. Sometimes it is less bad, but it is always there. I often find myself subconsciously rubbing that side of my face in an attempt to relieve it.

1.5mg of ativan per day (0.5mg x3) alleviates this sympom by roughly 90 to 100%. While I was taking my full prescribed dose every day, I practically forgot this symptom existed. I am only now beginning to experience it again as I get to the lower end of my taper.

This is probably my worst symptom. It doesn't appear to be affected by noise, and changes in intensity seemingly at random.

I need insight into what this may be. This is another symptom that most of my doctors ignore when I mention it to them. My neurotologist did some standard neuro testing and determined that it wasn't clinically significant.

Any thoughts?

2. Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Tmj. Regular symptom of it. Or trigeminal nerve.

3. Vicky17

Vicky17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Sen,

This is exactly what I’ve been experiencing. Doctors have been telling me I’m suffering from anxiety. Seeing an ENT on Tuesday next week.

How are you doing now? X

4. JohnFromChicago

JohnFromChicago Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Indoor Shooting Range (with ear protection)
      I have this exact same symptom! I had gun shot induced hearing loss a while back, and posted here about it. I have recovered to 40dB on my two worst levels I can’t notice a difference anymore and my tinnitus has faded so that was all good enough for me. Now in desperation to find a cause for this incredibly annoying sensation I came across this post in a google search tonight. I have had tons of tests and seen 3 doctors. Has anyone been able to link this to there tinnitus!?

5. Lionel

Lionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I get pain in the right side of my head, ear spasms, wisdom tooth pain, if I lift anything heavy it makes everything worse.... doctors can’t figure it out... always the right side I have no idea what’s going on.... considering an mri.... last doctor said it’s migraines....