Put Head Under the Water — Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I take baths regularly but do not put my head under the water intentionally. Today, however, I accidentally slipped to far in and my ears went underwater for a few seconds. Now I am dizzy and nauseated, with a bit of more hearing loss in the low frequencies. My T is unchanged, however.

Did I somehow hurt myself from doing this? I am aware that it is not a great idea to dive or to swim underwater with existing T, but I am struggling to see why this small mistake made me feel so unwell.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Well, I took a nice long hot bath recently and intentionally submerged my ears in the hot water and I found it actually helped my T a bit.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You could have some water in your ear canal.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @GregCA

No it's definitely not that; I have no water left in my ears. It was the force of the water hitting my eardrum that I am worried about. I'm pretty sensitive to my eardrum getting smacked by noise or anything else.

5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Tinnitus is more affected by anxiety or anticipation of everything under the sun possibly affecting volume level. Look no further than this forum. Anxiety is the theme and people struggle the most when anxious about anything and everything..
      I swim every day. To start my swim, I dive into the water. My family doctor has looked inside my ears and I asked him point blank, should I stop swimming? I was a competitive swimmer growing up. He said absolutely not. You are a swimmer and swimming doesn't have any known relationship with tinnitus. I am not prone to swimmer's ear or ear infections.
      So you have my vote.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So true.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @stophiss

Your point is definitely valid about the relationship between tinnitus and anxiety; but in this case I did not get a T spike from this. Only vertigo and feeling like I was going to puke. For the record I do have a fever now, so maybe I was just fighting something off.

• Like Like x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Water in your ears can give you a short burst of vertigo for some people but should soon settle with no d amadge done to your ears from the shower or bath.
      Hope your feeling better...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2