Putting Pressure on Either Ear Makes Tinnitus Worse. Is Anyone the Same as Me?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DarrenM21, May 2, 2017.

1. DarrenM21

DarrenM21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello.

So I've noticed that a lot of people's T ease up when they lie down or when they cover their ears. But for me it's that exact opposite. If I do either of those things mine only gets louder. Like, putting pressure on either ear does make it worse.

Is anyone the same as me?

And if not, can someone with experience of researching all sorts of tinnitus tell me if it's ear related or brain related? Could it be a blood problem or a pressure problem or a bone problem or something?

Really worried so I hope someone can give me some help.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My T also gets louder 5 minutes or so after I lie down.

3. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      It doesn't get worse for me but if I cover or plug my ears I can hear it more like it's blasting from the middle of my head

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Now that I think of it, when I insert an earplug into my bad ear, there are fewer sounds that can mask T, and as a result I can hear T a lot better.

5. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      I am totally deaf in my left ear where the T and H come from now. If I ear plug the good ear, the T and H back right off, which is something I am very grateful for. However I am finding that in the night, for some reason I can wake up and theres clear silence all around (I live in the countryside) but my T and H are rapid firing. I get the opposite during daylight hours which is strange.

mf

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Mine gets louder if I lie down too .. I mask it with the mynoise app, and a tone generator at the moment to have a decent rest

7. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Mettafort,
      I am deaf in one also, and plugging the good ear brings the hyperacusis down for me too. I also live in the quiet countryside and I have noticed that waking up after a bad dream or just an active dream will spike my noise. If I sleep peacefully, then my tinnitus can be pretty quiet when I first wake up in the morning. My deaf ear reacts to every sound my good ear hears so I really prefer silence. Over time though, I have become somewhat conditioned to hearing sound with the reactive noise and it bothers me less. My biggest problem at this point is not the deafness or the noise of T and H. It is the discomfort that bothers me most.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      It's normal for T to become more noticeable in the quiet. When I am in total silence (which is rare) I sometimes get shocked at the noise! I've also noticed a new (woohoo!) dull hum in one ear which gets more noticeable when lying down. I think the mind is playing a large role in it for me though because there are times when I can almost "think" the noise into existence, and if I focus on it it's like it grows and grows and my ear starts to flutter. The brain is a very complex thing!

9. Mettafort
      Sunshine

Mettafort Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 8th, 2017 (a few days after)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertigo->48 hours->Deaf in left Ear->Tinnitus
      @Lorac,

Thank you for the response. That's good to know we have similar experiences; just the knowledge and to know we aren't alone can be helpful I am finding. So thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Mf