Q&A: Tinnitus Hub Meets Neuromod (Lenire)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Well since they talked about the audiogram and that is what they will work with it might actually be different stimulus depending on what ear one has it in. Or it makes no difference.

2. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      After Brexit will they have a licence to sell into the UK? An interesting question TBH.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Can you please elaborate?

4. flamaest

flamaest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benicar?
      Very interested in this product and will buy it immediately when it comes out in the US.

Also, I appreciate all the clinical trials and safety studies, however other devices on the market which have very similar non-invasive technologies, seem easier to purchase. An example of this type of item is the Modius which helps you lose weight.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/modius-the-smarter-way-to-lose-weight#/

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Is there any potential customs problems possible with this device? Does it count as a medical device or can I disgiuse it as some sort of weird MP3 player?

If the price will be under $2000-3000 I will fly out to Ireland immediately when it is released. Otherwise I'll have to gather up a bit more money.

Also if understand correctly, since the device is tuned to an individual's audiogram it could be readjusted for another person? Some of my friends and relatives have tinnitus too (mild to moderate) and I'll gladly share the device with them after I finish my treatment.

Is there any information regarding readjusting the device?

6. DonLeon
      Tired

DonLeon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you talking about the University of Minnesota topic? If you are, I think I know who you're referring to, but didn't he also say the effects were temporary? It was suggested in the Q&A that MuteButton's lasted for at least a 12-month period. But like you said, only time will tell, and people can make their own choice on what to get.

I applaud anyone who wants to wait for other things, though, because god knows how long before anything else hits the market. And by that, I mean years and years longer. If someone's desperate enough to be on here, I'd assume they'll go for the first proven product.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      One lady on there said that hers had “gone” after the treatment, also in the interview where @Steve asked and they said they didn’t want to say the word ‘cure’ - but there have been people who said that it went away.

Come on Jakob @attheedgeofscience and @Aaron123 I want to hear your views.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I would really like to talk to the 100 people who purchased this in 2015.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    9. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      What I wonder is what they changed about the unit from the old to the new. There must have been some tweaking regarding to the stimulus since then.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It was a totally different system. Apparently they just used normal sounds or music instead of tuning it to the individual. It sounds like it was just a stupid product.

11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      That is the approach I am considering. Thanks @Steve.

Here in the US at the famous House Clinic in Los Angeles tinnitus patients do not even get the "sympathetic expression" and that is after patients have paid over $200 dollars for a fifteen minute (at the most) appointment. And most leave more suicidal than when they arrived.

• Like Like x 1
    12. angang

angang Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe stress, lack of sleep, in ears headphones
      Thank you so much @Markku for this excellent work!

13. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I cannot. I read it somewhere on the internet over 3 months ago. I do not keep links on me for the purposes of proving something or providing citations on a forum. I tried googling it but I am in no mood to dig deep for it.

Edit: I understand the above sounds rude or bitey. It is simply because my patience is currently thin and I have no idea how else to word it. I have also made an assumption on intent here as well.

14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      OK. No worries.

15. MarkLud

MarkLud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/music/unknown
      I hear ya. I mean, if these results are corroborated by people on here in the coming months I very well may be making a trip to Ireland soon, lol. But just my gut believes that the Minnesota stuff may be a bit ahead of Neuromod based on his experiences in that thread (and I just think that if Neuromod had concrete "this reduces it by 10 dB or whatever" results then they would lead with that ... if not, they're totally burying the lede).

It's the same methodology so I don't think it's any more temporary than Neuromod -- because it's a trial, he's only been using it once every two weeks as part of the trial, not every day/etc. as in a full treatment. And he did say in another post that he felt the effects were cumulative as he went along in the trial. I totally could be wrong but I don't think that will be any more temporary than Neuromod.

Either way I'm hoping both are awesome and I can't wait to try 'em myself. :)

16. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I think I chose the right time to join this forum... It's tailor-made for someone like me (tinnitus with hyperacusis).

Look beyond this company and think of it as a general scientific breakthrough as far as learning to brainhack via the combination of audio and electrical nerve stimulation. Some of these tech are non-invasive like this and some are more invasive (like VNS). If you watch the interview you'll see how they learned that some techniques worked better than others. The technique they are currently using that works best can probably be improved even further. It's largely trial-and-error at this point and as many trials they've conducted, they need to do many many more. So it would be unfair to assume that whatever results they're seeing is the theoretical maximum.

That being said, this treatment is in desperate need of testimonials from people who have no conflict of interest and no mysterious NDAs prohibiting them from talking.

BTW, personally, I would have no problem using a device like this an hour every day for the rest of my life if necessary. Once or a twice a year, no big deal. So them trying to prove that the effects are permanent are unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Yeah that’s what I was thinking, if they do rent it I’m sure they will sanitize is throughly. I would feel more comfortable with a new device as well if I’m honest.

I’ll wait wait for more information.

18. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Maybe the tongue clips are interchangeable? The tongue bit is the only bit i would like to be new.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ever since my family doctor got busted by the CDC for double-dipping needles, I don't trust anything to be sanitary. Medical personnel sometimes take short-cuts and patients pay the price.

20. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      They can always unbundle the electrode from the base-unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      The problem is that any dB measurement is subjective. There are so many variables that can affect a personal measurement.
      When I tried the device the tongue stimulation part of the unit came in its own bag. I imagine you would be able to purchase that separately.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Will this device work on patients who got tinnitus due to prescription drugs?

Thanks for the awesome work.

23. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I got tinnitus and hyperacusis after an ear infection... I really hope this works for people like me. Fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I would think so, and there wasn't anything mentioned that it wouldn't. They are going through data now to decipher which people would most benefit from it and which people wouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Well how many people are planning to try the device so far? If everybody waits on everybody to try it then we're not going to get anywhere. It's also my understanding if this doesn't work it's going to be a long time until another treatment comes along, this is by far my greatest fear as chances are I won't survive for that long.

I just hope they're not lying about their claims of improvement, if this is a genuine effort to try to treat tinnitus and it doesn't work I can stomach the loss of 5K.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      That’s actually disgusting and shocking. Even if they have been used I know I would clean if throughly, I’m sure they would sell them separate anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The Susan Shore device is better and will probably be out in 2020. FX-322 will be available in 2023. We're almost there.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I will try it for sure! It's just gonna cost a lot to get there haha.

29. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Not if one does not have somatic tinnitus, no.

30. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The University of Minnesota device works for somatic tinnitus. That should be coming out around 2023 as well.