Question About Varying Loudness in Hearing My Own Voice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have noticed something strange recently. At times, I notice that my own voice sounds loud and everything else is too quiet. Other times, everything sounds normal but then when I talk my own voice sounds too quiet. What could cause both of these things to happen?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Might be ears a little blocked or ears a little sensitive
      ..lots of love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      When I had a big air-bone gap (pre-surgery), my voice would sometimes feel loud, and I had episodes of "joy" thinking that my hearing was actually getting better through some kind of miracle.
      What was probably happening to me is that the voice was reaching the inner hear through bone conduction, vs the rest of the world using the air conduction path through the ear drum.
      So it felt like my ear was opening, but the rest of the world was still muffled. It was an artifact of the air-bone gap. This isn't happening to me anymore (post-surgery).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That makes sense. Now I don't have a gap, or it's smaller, or the last people were wrong. And oh there's nothing wrong with my ear. It's totally normal. And the only thing that qualifies as a hearing problem is if you can't hear on the phone. And if I go to TRT they can somehow reprogram me so that I believe this absolute nonsense.

5. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I've noticed this as well.
      Now it might be because of my H. (which I got because of overprotecting)
      But it does feel louder in one ear than the other.

Is there a test to see if there is a problem? Can this be damaging? Is my TS not working properely?