Questions to ask TRT audiologist + Follow up to ear cleaning question

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (Archived Answers)' started by kmohoruk, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not accepting new questions.
    Dismiss Notice
tinnitus forum
    1. kmohoruk

kmohoruk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Hello Dr Nagler,

Just before I start TRT at the Tinnitus clinic in Vancouver next week, I was wondering if there were any particular questions that I should ask the audiologist once it gets going.

I remember seeing from another post that you posted that anyone who is starting TRT should ask these following questions with their audiologist who is doing the treatment.

They are:

· What is the approach she is recommending and why?
      · What type of training has she undergone in the use of that approach?
      · How long has she been using the approach?
      · How many tinnitus sufferers has she treated with the approach?
      · What is her success rate using the approach?
      · How does she define and measure success?

Are there any other questions that I should ask as well?

Just in regards to my previous question...

Is it safe for the ENT to use that tool to clean my ears EVEN with my mild hyperacusis?

(I apologize, I should have been clearer)

The tool that I was referring to was (I don't know the proper name) this device that almost looks like a bendable-tipped device that sort of looks like a plumbers snake that a plumber would use to clean a drain. This is what the ENT used the last time to clean my ears.

I guess more so to the point. In your opinion, is it safe to have your ears cleaned by an ENT even if you have hyperacusis?

Thank you very much Dr. Nagler for all the help with my questions again. It's been a long 3 month wait, but I finally look forward to getting in and finally getting evaluated by an ENT and admission to the Tinnitus Clinic in Vancouver.

All the best,

Kris Mohoruk
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Atlanta, Georgia USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      Kris, those are not the questions for somebody who is starting TRT to ask. Those are the questions to ask while one is in the process of deciding whether or not to actually embark upon a course of treatment and while one is in the process of selecting a clinician. Once you have made those decisions, then its time to listen more and ask less.

Yes, as long as the ENT knows what he or she is doing! I am not trying to be difficult here, just stating the facts. There is nothing inherent in hyperacusis that makes you more susceptible to auditory damage than the general population.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Nagler