Quick Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Peter Phua, Jul 29, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Peter Phua Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Hey,

I run a Notched Sound therapy software proprietor, and this is by far my favourite forum for linking into the discussion on the latest in tinnitus treatment news and therapies. Looking forward to chatting with you guys! I've had tin since 2010 but after habituation it no longer bothers me (although I still wear earplugs in clubs, obviously). I had early success with Notched Music therapy but then didn't need to complete a full treatment cycle since my habituation took care of it (and I was in medical school at the time, so I got super lucky with my coping). Initial period was super rough though - I still remember the insomnia was terrible.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hey Peter, and welcome.

For openness' sake, I take you are the co-founder of AudioNotch.

You used to have a different username here on Tinnitus Talk previously, right? (Last seen about a year ago).

Are you now an MD? Congratulations on finishing your studies, then! :)

3. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Hey Markku, just PM'ed you - I wanted to include a link, but your system prevents that if you're writing your first three posts. I hope that I'm staying within the rules here :)

The firm is www.AudioNotch.com (for reference)

And yeah, I did finish! Feels good!

4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hey Peter,

welcome to the forums, i also think TT is the best tinnitus forum on the web because it's neutral. Most people around here are helpful and respectful.

I also like your website and blog by the way, at least, it doesn't cost $2 million like neuromonics, soundcure or other "official" tools ...

Have a nice browsing around

5. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Thanks James!

6. Bacus

Bacus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Hi Peter,

Sometime in March, I attended a talk that u presented on tinnitus in Hamilton Canada.
      You were very well received by the audience. Did not get an opportunity to speak to u, because of the long line.
      My tinnitus was a week old then,very bothersome, and suicidal.

Question, correct me if i am wrong, did you mention that the tinnitus frequency of 5.5 db or less will be easier to habituate using notched music therapy.

Since your presentation I have subscribed to AudioNotch and my T frequency is + 6.5 db.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Bacus

7. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm curious about the following on your homepage Peter,

AudioNotch uses a scientifically proven tinnitus treatment that cures your tinnitus by targeting the root cause.

and also,

The usage of AudioNotch's tinnitus treatment has been experimentally shown to cure tinnitus over time by reducing volume.

Your video says this is designed to lower the volume of your Tinnitus. I don't believe many people will agree with how you use the word 'Cure'. I imagine most will associate that word with silence when trying to consciously listen for their Tinnitus. Not simply just lowering the volume. I do not believe it is appropriate nor ethical to use the word this way as it dosen't actually cure Tinnitus does it?

8. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010

Hey there,

I was actually referring to volumes of hearing loss - (the therapy hasn't been shown to work in over 55dB of hearing loss). If you're referring to your tinnitus frequency in hZ, then 6.5 kHz is within normal bounds.

Peter

9. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010

Hey Molan,

You are 100% to be calling us out on this.

I actually wrote a blog post on this which blatantly contradicts our front page: http://www.audionotch.com/blog/tinnitus/audionotch-is-a-treatment-not-a-cure/

I've spotted this error earlier and it's the product of an overzealous programmer trying to improve the SEO of our landing page. "Tinnitus cure" is a keyword and removing this term is on our list of site error cleanups.

Thank you for pointing it out.

Peter.

10. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ah I see thank you for clarifying that Peter. I hope it's something which you can get fixed soon. By the way I agree with James it's great that you that offer a sound therapy that doesn't charge obscene prices like Neuromonics.

11. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010

Hi Molan,

Thanks again for pointing this out. We're planning on rewriting the copy on the entire landing page but are completely backed up with a long list of updates we have to push across the board. So fixing that will probably take awhile.

I agree with you on the Neuromonics point. If you look at the industry, most proprietors are pursuing a model where they inflate the value of their product with a proprietary MP3 player that's completely unnecessary. That's their business model, and for Neuromonics, it seems to work. I'd suspect there's a strong placebo effect at play (although you could say the same for AudioNotch if you were critically appraising anecdotal responses to therapy - which is why we don't rely on anecdotes as our sole marketing material).

Anyways, this forum is the best on tinnitus on the internet.

Peter.

• Like Like x 3
    12. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Absolutely agree with that 100%!

Regarding Neuromonics regardless if it's a placebo or not the price they charge is obscene and in my opinion quite parasitic of Tinnitus sufferers. At least your product doesn't cost people thousands of dollars.

Thanks again for clarifying the issues on your website Peter.

13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Isn't it ever so fun when Neuromonics gets yet another grant to produce something that some people might describe with expletives?

Sigh.

On an unrelated note, I'm happy to see Peter is so open to changes and suggestions.

14. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      Hi Peter,

I tried it and it made the ringing in my ears louder. Is that normal? I tried it for about 20 minutes and paid the 39 dollars.

I got scared to use it, cause it may make the ringing worse.

15. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      True that!

16. Peter Phua
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010

Hi there,

I've written a detailed blog post on what to do if this occurs (we need to move it to the FAQ, it's buried in our blog archives, sorry about that): http://www.audionotch.com/blog/anno...-of-temporary-increases-in-tinnitus-loudness/